HELP!! Need Impeller Quick

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
GreenClover

HELP!! Need Impeller Quick

Post by GreenClover »

Hi Everybody!! Does anyone know where I can find an impeller for a Rena Filstar XP3? I need it by Monday because I'm going to be leaving for a month to Washington and am desperatly trying to get my tanks ready for my mom to feed. I am willing to drive, so Springfield, Fayettville, ??? I've found several places on the internet, but they either don't offer overnight shipping, or they want $60 JUST for the shipping, not including the part. Thanks for any help you can offer.. contact: 870critters@gmail.com
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Re: HELP!! Need Impeller Quick

Post by sskruzr »

What's the problem with the original? If I might ask.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
GreenClover

Post by GreenClover »

It's not moving any water and when I took the top off and opened it up.. cleaned it and put it back together (which was suprisingly simple), it still doesn't move water and the impeller makes a lot of very rough noise when it spins. Since there is nothing other than the impeller that appears to be moving, I'm assuming I need to replace it. Got any other suggestions? I'll try anything!!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

See if adding a small nylon washer between the impeller and rubber end stopper helps. Many hobbyists don't realize that that tiny part is there on many filters and lose it when they disassemble the impeller.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

More than likely what has happened is the magnet came loose of the plastic piece it's suppose to be glued to. I've fixed several ofthese over the years with super glue. I take the impeller apart and it takes just a dab. I don't do it while on the shaft because there's a chance of getting glue on the shaft.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
GreenClover

Post by GreenClover »

mewickham wrote:See if adding a small nylon washer between the impeller and rubber end stopper helps. Many hobbyists don't realize that that tiny part is there on many filters and lose it when they disassemble the impeller.
I'm trying to figure out where you are referring to. There is a little rubber plug on the end of the metal spindle that the magnet and white plastic fan (impeller) sit on (which drops into the motor rubber stopper first). Are you talking about putting the washer on the spindle before I put the magnet and white plastic back on it? Pretend your talking to someone who is looking at one of these things for the first time!! :D
GreenClover

Post by GreenClover »

OH!! and thank you!!
GreenClover

Post by GreenClover »

sskruzr wrote:More than likely what has happened is the magnet came loose of the plastic piece it's suppose to be glued to. I've fixed several ofthese over the years with super glue. I take the impeller apart and it takes just a dab. I don't do it while on the shaft because there's a chance of getting glue on the shaft.
I see nothing loose to glue the magnet to, so this must not be the case..
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

I'm trying to figure out where you are referring to. There is a little rubber plug on the end of the metal spindle that the magnet and white plastic fan (impeller) sit on (which drops into the motor rubber stopper first). Are you talking about putting the washer on the spindle before I put the magnet and white plastic back on it? Pretend your talking to someone who is looking at one of these things for the first time!!
First off, I'm not familiar with the Rena filter specifically, so my advice may not be applicable. But many filters have an impeller that spins on an axle. The axle has a rubber stopper at both ends. And there is often a nylon washer on the axle, between the impeller and bottom rubber stopper. It keeps the impeller from snagging on the rubber stopper. Rubber stoppers aren't a very friction-free surface, so the nylon washer helps.

Also, your magnet and white plastic fan piece should be all one, inseparable piece-- though the fan part usually is able to rotate a little bit before it catches and makes the magnet turn, too. If it turns all the way around without turning the magnet, too, it probably has come unglued, as someone else suggested. Superglue can fix that right up.
Mike Wickham
GreenClover

Post by GreenClover »

Thank you so much to all!! This helps me understand at least what I should be looking at.

Tonight I'll see if I can find a washer. The Rena has the rubber stopper at the bottom, but not the top (at least mine, so maybe this is the problem?). The fan has two notches in it, that the magnet fits into, so it's secure other than the 1/4 turn it makes before it catches. Once again thank you so much!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

If your filter model only has a stopper at one end, it probably doesn't take a washer.
GreenClover wrote:It's not moving any water and when I took the top off and opened it up.. cleaned it and put it back together (which was suprisingly simple), it still doesn't move water and the impeller makes a lot of very rough noise when it spins.
This may be a silly question, but are you sure the filter is completely filled with water? I had assumed that you've had this filter for a while and cleaned/restarted it before. But if it is your first time you may not know that you need to take steps to get water flowing into the filter to fill it before the impeller can work. Otherwise, the impeller is left above the waterline in the filter, spins in the air, and makes the noise you described. I usually start canister filters by filling them half full before assembly. Then I draw on the output hose to get a good strong siphon flowing through the filter. I watch for the filter to fill the rest of the way and for the output hose to start to fill. That way I know there's enough water in the filter to reach the impeller. (That's for most canister filters, which have the impeller located at the top of the filter. Magnum filters have it at the bottom.) Then I reconnect the output hose to the aquarium and plug the filter in. Some filters have other ways of starting water flow. My Eheim Professional has a large button that you can pump to get water going.

If your filter is full and you've still got the noise, the impeller is probably damaged and needs replacing. But also make sure the impeller well, the space where the impeller fits into, is clean or gunk could snag the impeller and cause problems. Also, if the filter was let to run dry for a while, the motor can overheat, deforming the plastic filter housing. This can cause the impeller to bang against it and make noise. In that case, replacing the motor would be necessary.
Mike Wickham
GreenClover

Post by GreenClover »

<<<<This may be a silly question, but are you sure the filter is completely filled with water? I had assumed that you've had this filter for a while and cleaned/restarted it before. But if it is your first time you may not know that you need to take steps to get water flowing into the filter to fill it before the impeller can work. >>>

I've actually been running it for about a year. I bought it used last year and it's been running fine. It just started moving less and less water, not matter how much I cleaned it (although, this is the first time I've taken the impeller out and cleaned it). I took it apart and cleaned everything moved the impeller and right now it seems to be working again. I'll see if it continues over night..

thank you!