Live food order - Flies, Daphnia, Blackworms?

Tasty nutrition for your fish
Sundance

Live food order - Flies, Daphnia, Blackworms?

Post by Sundance »

All,

I'm thinking about ordering some:

WIngless Fruit Flies
Daphnia
Blackworms?

Anyone want to get in on this and split shipping? Also, anyone know of a decent site with all three available?

Thanks,
S u n d a n c e
"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." Emerson
etheonut

Re: Live food order - Flies, Daphnia, Blackworms?

Post by etheonut »

www.aquaculturestore.com for the daphnia.

Mike has a good source for the blackworms

Not sure on fruit flies right now.

I would split shipping with you Sundance.

Kevin
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Go here http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?foodl&1263785859 on AquaBid. Dallas Discus has D, magna are only $8/400 plus shipping vs $48 including shipping at Aqua Culture Store. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Yep the guy on aquabid is cheaper.

1000/$48 from Paul

400/$16.50 plus pay for priority shipping (at least that is the way I am reading his ad) on aquabid.

I recommend Paul still though as he will be there for customer service after the sale. If you do the math the prices are very similar.

Kevin
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

You won't find all three at the same place. The best prices for each are at different places. I would go for some fruit flies. I'll have to look up the name of the people I get them from. They are really good.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Actually, that was 500/$8. I don't know how big the box is that he would ship them in, but it would probably be $5-10 for USPS Priority. Denny
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I used 400 because that is the number you used.

This is a classic case of a confusing aquabid advertisement.

He lists 500 daphnia for $8 buyout. The then states there will be an $8.50 shipping and handling fee. He then follows that with buyer will pay priority shipping.

When I read this ad I assume that means 500 daphnia for $16.50 + priority shipping for 500 daphnia. Assuming again that priority shipping is $8 that leaves us at $24 shipped.

It really doesn't matter though. I recommended Paul because he is a trusted friend who sells a quality product. When people ask for a recommendation I always start with people I trust for that product. I personally don't have any problem paying a few dollars extra for a known quality both in product and service.

Kevin
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Did you ever decide to order any daphnia? I'm looking for a daphnia culture and a grindal worm culture if anyone has them. Otherwise I may go ahead and order them. Let me know if you have some or would want to go in on an order. Denny
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

I might be interested in going in on a daphnia shipment, but not until the weather is warm and I could set up an outdoor pool to try raising them. I ordered some small portions last year from, I think, the Dallas Discus guy. They all arrived in good shape. I put them under the microscope for photographs and then fed them to my fish.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
Sundance

Post by Sundance »

Since we got the Blackworms I haven't pursued this. I was hoping we'd try collecting some Daphnia? Either way, I'm with Wickham on waiting till it gets warmer.

I would go in on a Wingless Fruit Fly order...
S u n d a n c e
"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." Emerson
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I filled up my pool today (at least a few inches worth). Getting ready for the daphnia. After finishing, I started thinking that I may have to put the netting up pretty soon. I haven't heard any frogs trilling yet, but we can't expect it to be too long. On another note, I read an interesting account of how to keep Grindal worms without soil from the OKAA. I think I'll be ordering some soon, and will try this new method. They said it eliminates the soil mites which were giving me problems before. Wish me luck. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Well I took 2 steps to getting things rolling today. I ordered some Grindal worms and I've got the first prototype drag-net constructed for trying to catch daphnia on Beaver Lake. Anyone know what time of day is best for Daphnia? I might try sometime next week to see what happens and also to get the boat ready for the year. Hope the batteries are still good. Denny
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Plankton surface in the evenings.

Kevin
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

I ordered some daphnia for myself and a friend up here yesterday from Dalldiscus. I will let you know what we think of them. We both got 1200 monia and also got a sample pack of the three varieties. I have never messed with them but wanted to try they at least once. My friend uses them a lot with his amphipians. I wanted to have some to mess with and in case my seahorses have babies as a possible food source for them.

Jack
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I sort of expeced that for timing, so I'll have to try late afternoon/early evening. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I said that I hadn't heard any frogs trilling last week. Well I did Friday. I figured maybe I should put the screen over the kiddie pool. I don't think any frogs had gotten in there yet, but figured that wouldn't be a good idea if I was going to try daphnia out there. Now I have to decide if it's time to crank up the water pumps and get them pumping water. Is it going to freeze again? Denny
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

" Is it going to freeze again? Denny"

Sure but maybe not until next winter ;) Sorry Denny I couldn't help myself.

More than likely we won't get another hard freeze
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP