New guy here

Tell us about yourself! Find tips on using our forum.
KMX

New guy here

Post by KMX »

Thought I would say hello! I am from the Dallas, TX area. I see that you guys are having an auction coming up. Congratz !! I have 18 tanks up and running. and more in the waiting process. I have mainly all African Cichlids and some Plecos. L66, L333, ABN, LFABN and some BN. We (USAfishbox) are having out 1st auction this weekend. (sat. March 20th).

Glad to be here looks like a great place to meet some new fish freaks like myself. Thanks for having me!

Kory
USAfishbox.com
aulonocaraaddict

Re: New guy here

Post by aulonocaraaddict »

Welcome! I am addicted to african cichlids :lol: what africans do you have?
Ramswin

Post by Ramswin »

Welcome! Denny also is very fond of Africans.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

At least the "peacock" type Africans. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Thanks for stopping in! I wish you luck with your auction. Let us know how it goes!
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
KMX

Post by KMX »

Thanks for the warm welcomes.
USAfishbox.com
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Welcome to our site!

I went to check out your usafishbox site, but it requires registration to see anything. So I walked away. Requiring personal information before allowing any access is a technique used by spammers. And I'm not going to give personal information to register an account on a site that I may not even like. Many on the Internet feel the same. Your site should reconsider requiring registration to get access. Our site, for example, allows anyone to read, but requires registration to post.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

Mike, it doesn't ask for any personal information, just your name and to create a userid and password. Hope that's not too personal.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

It asks for my e-mail address to confirm my registration. I don't want to give out my e-mail address to a site just to have a quick look. But, based on your recommendation, I went back and signed up with a fake name and fake e-mail address, just to see what would happen. Lo and behold, it let me in without any confirmation or activation. (Or maybe the e-mail address I made up is an actual address somewhere, and some poor shlub will get a notice thanking him for joining some fish forum. :) ) I had a look around and it's a nice site. I wish our was that busy! If I ever go back, I'll sign up with a real account.
Mike Wickham
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Eh.... I don't know if something was changed, but when I went to the site earlier this evening, it threw up a pop-up telling me that I needed to register. I ignored that, moved on, and enjoyed the forum. As far as I can tell, the only thing you can't do without registering is post, but I didn't try that. Nice site, very active forum! I'll get around to registering when I get past these stupid mid-terms.
~Kenna
KMX

Post by KMX »

The reason you have to sign up and become a member before you can post and view some areas is bc I am keeping away spammers and some people who have acted like a fool and got banned. The site is very active and I belive that's b/c the admis and MODS have done a great job keeping everything in line. Sorry you were a litle fustrated but I made it like that for a reason. Some people sign up right away....some will view the site for 2 weeks before they sign up.

I ask for no personal information to sign up. A e-mail address to me is not personal information......Like you said it is simple to make up one.....and you can make as many as you want. ( not like a SS #..you only have 1) If you like the site please feel free to sign up and say hello. I can promise you one thing... You wont get any spam b/c I have all that on lock. It's a very simple forum with a simple layout...we are very simple people that like to talk fish.

After all that is said. I just wanted to say I signed up here b.c I thought this was a great site and I could meet some cool new fish people. I was not trying to advertize my site or have someone try and tell me how to run it. We have a good amount of members and a bunch of action...so I think we are ok there.

Thanks again for the warm welcomes. I'm sure I will be back to share my fish sotries!!!

Kory
USAfishbox.com
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Well, I'm an idiot. Kenna's tip made me go and look again. This time, I clicked the "Do not display again" button in the box that asks for registration. Previously, I had assumed it would only make the box go away, and not give me access. But clicking it actually makes the forum readable but not postable. Of course, the gallery and possibly other areas are still not accessible.

Anyway, KMX, sorry for my harping. You have a very nice site. Idiots like me just get confused sometimes.

And thanks again for visiting our site.
Mike Wickham
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

(hugs Mike) It would have never occurred to me to make an email up. I have been to many forums that send you a confirmation email that you have to click on to grant access to the forum. ANYHOO.... Thanks, again, Kory, for stopping in and saying Hi! Here's wishing you much luck on you auction tomorrow!
~Kenna
KMX

Post by KMX »

mewickham wrote:Well, I'm an idiot. Kenna's tip made me go and look again. This time, I clicked the "Do not display again" button in the box that asks for registration. Previously, I had assumed it would only make the box go away, and not give me access. But clicking it actually makes the forum readable but not postable. Of course, the gallery and possibly other areas are still not accessible.

Anyway, KMX, sorry for my harping. You have a very nice site. Idiots like me just get confused sometimes.

And thanks again for visiting our site.
No worries! Thanks for the welcome.
USAfishbox.com
KMX

Post by KMX »

pinkrblu wrote:(hugs Mike) It would have never occurred to me to make an email up. I have been to many forums that send you a confirmation email that you have to click on to grant access to the forum. ANYHOO.... Thanks, again, Kory, for stopping in and saying Hi! Here's wishing you much luck on you auction tomorrow!

Thank you! I will need it... Going to be a crazy next 48 hours. :ugeek:
USAfishbox.com