Program Schedule - Dates - Location - Maps and Directions
mewickham
NWAAS President

May 2010 Meeting: Native Fishes for Tropical Fish Enthusiast

Post by mewickham »

Native Fishes for Tropical Fish Enthusiasts
A Talk by Michael Gaines

Saturday, May 8th, 2010

As an aquarium hobbyist, you buy and display exotic species from all over the world in your aquariums. But did you know that there are beautiful and interesting species in local streams and ponds? And you can catch and keep them without spending a cent (except for the cost of a fish license). Join us at this month’s meeting, where Michael Gaines will teach us about popular native species, how to catch them, and how to keep them. And he will clue us in on local regulations that must be followed to legally catch your own fish.

Michael Gaines (sumpnfishy) is a former president of the Heart of America Aquarium Society in Kansas City. He relocated to northwest Arkansas in June of 2007, and couldn’t stand the thought of being without an aquarium club, so he found some like-minded people to help start one here in Northwest Arkansas. Michael served several terms as our club’s first president,and is our current vice president. Michael mostly keeps oddball cichlids, wild-type livebearers, and killifish. He also serves on the board of directors of the American Livebearer Association.

Click HERE for map and meeting location.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
Jackielee

Re: May 2010 Meeting: Native Fishes for Tropical Fish Enthusiast

Post by Jackielee »

Hope the meeting went well and someone bought my plants and fish. Wish I could have come with them but we were suppose to be on R & R as a family so I stayed put.

Jack
kribkid17

Post by kribkid17 »

Did your plants leaves happen to have a red underside?
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

They did sort of have red and green leaves. Can't remember the name but maybe ludwigia. Nice plants that change colors the closer to light they get. If you got them i hope they do well for you. I do not have CO2 just compact lighting and they grew well for me with very little fert.

Jack
kribkid17

Post by kribkid17 »

Did you have yours floating or were they in the gravel? I noticed they had roots but I didn't want to plant them because my rainbow cichlids will shred I have anything I have in the gravel but floating plants they leave.
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

I usually plant them but they will grow some floating too.