150 Gallon Tub

Outdoor fishkeeping!
Tolak

150 Gallon Tub

Post by Tolak »

Hey, nice that you have this section, makes me feel like I'm not such an 8 ball running an outdoor tub! I have two 150 gallon tubs running in my fishroom, couldn't stand seeing the spare sit in the garage doing nothing;

That's from a couple of years ago, the filtration is upgraded with a small pond pump pulling water through a bucket full of flint gravel. 1kw bucket heater on a controller, moving blankets are early in the season insulation, we have some nights where it really drops, looking at frost warnings tonight. I use water lettuce as a floating plant, though this year I picked up some dwarf water lettuce at a central Illinois auction, just to see how well it would work. Last couple of years was platys, I've got some neon orange & albino swords that are going into the tub this weekend, if they work out as well as platys I'll have a few 40 gallon tanks dedicated to swords in early fall.

You folks being further south might be able to help me with controlling excessive heat in the middle of summer. Besides covering the tub with a large sheet of 2" thick styro insulation, and evening water changes to bring the temperature down, what other tricks do you folks have? I'm not about to run a chiller on it, having to run a heater being further north irks me enough the way it is.
kribkid17

Re: 150 Gallon Tub

Post by kribkid17 »

If it's not too expensive, you could set up some fans blowing on the water and the evaporation will help cool them down a bit