Fish safe paint?

DIY Projects or post where to find them
Sundance

Fish safe paint?

Post by Sundance »

Hello all,
The DIY bug has bit again, and I'm looking to paint some PVC pipe that will "live" in the tank. Preferably black. Anyone know of any fish safe paint for PVC that would last submerged?

Thanks!
S u n d a n c e
"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." Emerson
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

Couldn't you use black pvc? I've used epoxy paint a hundred years ago when I built my first plywood tank. You'd have to call the specialty paint store to see who has it. I believe it was originally used for ceement ponds and swimming pools.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Several of the guys on cichlid forum recommend Krylon Fusion and say they have had good results. I've never tried it myself so I can neither confirm or deny it's safety!
Michael
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

I've used Krylon Fusion on non aquatic projects and really liked the results. Again, can't speak for its safety with fish...but I would think if you gave it plenty of time to cure it would be fine.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
LoveMyPleco

Post by LoveMyPleco »

Another neat idea with the pvc pipe is put aquarium glue on the pvc then roll it or pour on aqaurium gravel, let dry, then turn and continie until its all covered. Look very natural in a tank but gives hiding places.

Any of the pond apoxys should work all long as they are given ample time to cure so as to not leach out.

Jenn
Honey, Just one more fish..please....
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

I built a structure with acrylic, spread aquarium glue on the top 1" and the top edges and pressed gravel onto it. It looks really cool in the aquarium. The purpose of the wall is to provide different levels. I need a new digital camera so I can post some pics.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.