Algae issues

Add some green (or red or pink or purple) to your aquarium!
stpierce

Algae issues

Post by stpierce »

ImageImageI have 2 tanks with algae issues, the first and most pressing is my new 10 gallon, I have had it set up for a little over a month, sand bottom, about 40 watts on it and over the past week I have had an this very things green algae showing up everywhere, ironically it pearls which is kind of cool. I was wondering what the best way you though to get rid of it is. The second is my 29 gallon angelfish tank where I am getting this very long stringy algae that attaches to the tops of my plants. I have had this tank under the same 30 watts of lighting for the past 9 months but algae has just started happening. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Jackielee

Re: Algae issues

Post by Jackielee »

Siamese algae eaters, Flourish with Excell, algaefix, Flag fish are all options for some kind of algae. The string stuff the fish might help. The other might need a chemical fix and maybe try less light like 4 hours a day max. Addtional water changes with a good siphoning could help some too. Just a variety of possible ideas.

Jack
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

I can't tell if it's hair or thread algae in the one photo. Hair is attached. Thread isn't. The latter can sometimes be eliminated by manually peeling or combing it away. It may take a few tries to get it all. Hair algae is much more difficult. I'd try the Siamese algae-eater first (Crossocheilus siamensis). They may help or eliminate it. Amano shrimp may eat it, too, but may not be compatible with whatever fish you keep. You may have to clip off bits of plant that have algae attached, leaving only clean plant tissue, to be rid of it.

The other tank has blue-green algae, which is actually cyanobacteria. This is most easily treated by first cleaning away as much as possible. Then turn off the light for four days while treating with erythromcyin. (Maracy and E.M. Tablets are common brands.)

Some say that adding hornwort to a tank makes the blue-green algae go away. I can't back that up. I have some good photos of one of my tanks that became infested with blue-green algae, despite having plenty of hornwort before the infestation! But, weirdly, two days after shooting photos of the hornwort totally choked out with blue-green algae, the blue-green algae turned brown and all died on its own without treatment. Go figure.

Extra water changes can help algae problems. Adding more plants can help, too. (They compete for nutrients.) Your 10 gallon could use more plants, based on the amount of light you have. With that much light, it doesn't take much in the way of nutrients to get algae going. I'd try algicide as a last resort. It can be toxic to plants and snails.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
slimbolen99

Post by slimbolen99 »

That is no doubt cyno bacteria, which actually is not an algae, but as the name suggests, a bacteria. I have found that poor water circulation and poor water quality has been the culprit in getting this stuff.

Here is what I do to eradicate it:

1. Physically remove as much as possible from the tank sides, gravel, plants, and filters.
2. Clean filter media out thoroughly.
3. Do a 50% water change.
4. Treat with EM Tablets (Erythromycin). It is an anti bacterial safe for aquariums. You can buy it at any pet store. Half the dose recommended is enough.
5. The next day, do another 50% water change.
6. On the third day, repeat steps one through five. You should have it gone by then.

Be careful to watch your nitrates and nitrites because as the stuff dies, it adds alot of ammonia and can cause spikes in those two water properties.

To keep it out, I've found that keeping up with water changes and adding water circulation does the trick.

Good luck!