Rocks

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
etheonut

Rocks

Post by etheonut »

Back in the day, well, when I lived in Springfield, Mo. at least, we used to take great pride in doing some original aquarium decorating. One of the resources that we used on a regular basis was the local landscaping company. We would dig through their piles of landscape rock until we found the perfect piece. We would then pay less than a dollar a pound to take it home. This was a great deal since the LFSs at the time were charging almost 2 dollars a pound for similar rock.

There are precautions you have to take when getting rock like this such as washing the rock very thoroughly. It is worth the mini-adventure though of going out and digging through a ton of rocks to find the perfect piece.

I haven't found a local place yet that satisfies my rock urges. Those of you local to the big city, are there any good places to buy rock?

Kevin
HiroPro

Post by HiroPro »

I did that same thing just a couple months ago. It's a place called "Got Rock?" and it's just northwest of Rogers on the way to Pea Ridge. They let me peruse their rocks and I got about 8 - 10 pieces small to medium for around 5$.

Here's a map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=115216002172383101342.000439fb23f40d3525e60&ll=36.333934,-94.117641&spn=0.066101,0.1157&z=13&om=0

Ryan
dennysfishroom

Rocks

Post by dennysfishroom »

Hey Kevin,

If you get a chance to stop by, I've got several buckets of rocks that you can go through. Most of it is the flat type rocks rather than big nuggets. I can't say for sure that it won't add minerals to the tank, but I did use it in my tanks with no problems. Let me know. Right now I've got too much junk, but it's too good to throw out. Denny
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

My brother lives in California. He came home for a week last July and we went canoing on Elk River. This was the first trip he has made home in over 20 year that wasn't for a funeral. We had an absolute blast! I brought home some black slate and have it in one of the tanks. It is a fantastic reminder of a wonderful day. :D
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.