Anyone keep killifish?

Barbs, danios, gouramies, tetras, and other fish that don't fit into the above categories
kribkid17

Anyone keep killifish?

Post by kribkid17 »

Does anyone here keep anytypes of killifish? Also does anyone happen to have any blue fin killis? How about any other killis that would stand cool water or some nothos?
Jackielee

Re: Anyone keep killifish?

Post by Jackielee »

I have two varieties of killifish. Golden wonders which I have young from to share and another variety with a longer name i have not fund fry from yet.

Jack
snakeskinner

Re: Anyone keep killifish?

Post by snakeskinner »

I used to keep quite a few killifish but in trying to scale back from my 60 tanks and growing, I ended up passing them all along. I'd be happy to try and help answer any questions you might have. Bluefins are very nice natives and very peaceful as well. I found mine at a petsmart of all places, they came in as contaminants in a feeder shipment. Seems some of these will end up in some of the fish farms down in Florida and come in accidentally with other fish so keep an eye peeled when you go into your chain stores. I've also seen them in plant tanks at Petco before. There's quite a few people that sell them on aquabid. If you can make a friend in the Southeast US, you can probably get some wildcaught.

Nothos are very cool fish, I really liked them. There is a little work involved with breeding them though and some don't live a real long time. One of the most beautiful fish in my opinion though. The really good thing about Nothos (and many other killifish) is that you can actually get eggs shipped in regular mail without having to pay an arm and a leg for overnight shipping on live fish. I never had much luck getting nothos eggs from asia to hatch though. I suspect a lot of them were selling me dirt with a name :evil:

There are also several native killifish you can go out and collect yourself. I'm not exactly sure what species are in NW Arkansas but there are likely several Fundulus species. I can readily catch Fundulus zebrinus and Cyprinodon rubrofluviatilis nearby where I live. I believe up near Talequah, Oklahoma we would find Fundulus olivaceus and Fundulus notatus although they are a bit of a hunt sometimes... Kyle
Okarche, OK