Stock tank

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
dennysfishroom

Stock tank

Post by dennysfishroom »

I've got a stock tank I'm trying to set up in the garage for the turtles. It has a drain with a plug in it. The plug is leaking (slowly), but I was thinking about getting another plug for the inside. The drain is a threaded female fitting. I had a 3/4" PVC plug, but that just slides in and out. Yesterday I got a 1" threaded male fitting, and it looks like it's as big as the OD for the drain hole. Any ideas about where I could get a fitting in between those sizes? It must be from some other application. I may have to empty the tank and re-install using teflon tape. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
etheonut

Re: Stock tank

Post by etheonut »

You might try a farm supply store. The plug may be fairly specific.

Kevin
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I was afraid that might be the case. Thanks. Denny
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Denny, years ago I had a plastic vat with a similar plug. I was surprised to find that standard threaded fittings didn't fit inside when the plug was removed, but a standard PVC slip fitting fit fine around the outside of the port and could be glued on.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I was going to use my Pony pump to empty the stock tank so I could work on it. Found out the impeller was rotten. Anyone know where to get a new impeller? Finally siphoned it out sort of. it still had water over the top of the leaky drain. I took the plug out, put silicone tape on the threads, and put it back in as quick as I could. I got several gallons of water on the floor, but not as much as I expected. Now we just need to wait and see if it stopped the leak.