Glueing 2 breeder boxes together?

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
kribkid17

Glueing 2 breeder boxes together?

Post by kribkid17 »

I have 2 of the old 6x3 breeder traps and I need a place to put my female geo but I think just one is way to small so I was thinking... Cut out a wall on each of the breeder traps then secure them together with silicon. Has anyone tried this?
Jackielee

Re: Glueing 2 breeder boxes together?

Post by Jackielee »

no but it should work. I made a larger on out of some plexiglass sheets but it was a pain. Hobby lobby sells glues as do many hardware stores. The plastic won't cut easily withour breaking or cracking so tread lightly. hope it works. I was wanting to know how the geos were doing this round of sapwning. well I hope.
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

I'd see if super glue would work beeter. I've seen silicone on plastic and it takes quite a bit to get it to hold.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

The glue I am suggesting is quick dry and seems ot be aquarium safe but I don't know maybe superglue is too. I used this stuff on my acrylic tanks. I agree that silicone would be a slow and questionable choice.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

For me it's easier to cut the bottom out of a tupperware box and silicone in the plastic mesh you can get at hobby stores. This has worked the best for me. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
kribkid17

Post by kribkid17 »

I picked up some sheets of mesh from hobby lobby and they were the smallest holes you can get but idk if they are small enough.
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

why are you wanting to put a geo in a breeder trap?
Okarche, OK
kribkid17

Post by kribkid17 »

Because she has fry in her mouth and when she spits I want to be able to save the fry.
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

She may eat htem. How about another tank??????? Can't think of a better excuse. :D
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

are these the Geo steindachneri? If so, they are awesome parents. I had a pair in a 55 that had several different corydoras and brochis, quite a few pleco's of various types, some rainbows, benitochromis nigrodorsalis and some biotodoma cupido. One day I looked in and saw every other fish huddled into one end of the tank so I started looking to figure out why and the male steindachneri had one back corner's substrate dug out and a cloud of fry around him while the female sat about mid tank and attacked anything that came near her. I didn't even notice she had been holding. You'll probably end up with more fry than you can even handle if you try to keep 100% of them. I would let her hold them till she starts to turn them loose, then net her and she'll probably spit enough in the net to raise elsewhere and let her keep the rest. Or, like sskruzr said, another tank and let her spit on her own.. Kyle
Okarche, OK