Betta spawning

Barbs, danios, gouramies, tetras, and other fish that don't fit into the above categories
labyrinth

Betta spawning

Post by labyrinth »

IM new here and threw the day have been checking out this forum for info on Betta. I have a few weird questions if anyone can help me with. im sure some of you are familiar with how Betta spawn. My question is if the male wraps around the female from the top and not the bottom so the eggs get fertilized?
the other one is where one might find micro-worms without buying a culture. Is there any way to get them from the wild. Im planning another spawn soon and would like to find some and have food ready to go. i cant even find cultures in my town or anywhere close. So basicly what i need help on is,

1.The breeding issue
2.where i can get micro-worms?
3.why cant we get micro-worms from the ground easily?
4.whats the best feeding schedule for Betta fry - juveniles?
5.IS egg yolk really OK to feed newborn fry? and how much is too much?

I'm also looking for aquarium parts and supplies. tanks and hoods. right now im in need of a hood and light for a 50 gal tank and a hood and light for a 10 gallon . used parts are fine and really what i am looking for. also need air pumps hose and filters.
dennysfishroom

Re: Betta spawning

Post by dennysfishroom »

I was planning on bringing a couple microworm cultures to our next meeting. Probably a donation to the club for our mini-auction. These usually go pretty inexpensively. You probably could get them from the wild, but truthfully, most people don't have the lab skills or equipment to pull it off. There are many, many other organisms that you would have to isolate from to get a pure culture. Lots of people in the club probably have used equipment for sale. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

labyrinth wrote:IM new here and threw the day have been checking out this forum for info on Betta. I have a few weird questions if anyone can help me with. im sure some of you are familiar with how Betta spawn. My question is if the male wraps around the female from the top and not the bottom so the eggs get fertilized?
the other one is where one might find micro-worms without buying a culture. Is there any way to get them from the wild. Im planning another spawn soon and would like to find some and have food ready to go. i cant even find cultures in my town or anywhere close. So basicly what i need help on is,

1.The breeding issue
2.where i can get micro-worms?
3.why cant we get micro-worms from the ground easily?
4.whats the best feeding schedule for Betta fry - juveniles?
5.IS egg yolk really OK to feed newborn fry? and how much is too much?

I'm also looking for aquarium parts and supplies. tanks and hoods. right now im in need of a hood and light for a 50 gal tank and a hood and light for a 10 gallon . used parts are fine and really what i am looking for. also need air pumps hose and filters.
1. The betta breeding issue is not really a non issue. They handle that on their own. We do not need to intervene. :D In fact the male and female vents line up and the milt is released as the eggs are released. You can actually see it in the water. It sort of floats a bit too so if can at times rest in or near the bubble nest.

4. They do best with a constant food source in front of them when they are fry but feeding several times a day will raise you enough bettas to have to give them away. Will need to do daily water changes too! juveniles eat on a normal fish feeding schedule in my house.

5. Egg yolk can be squeezed through fine knit cotton cloth and fed to fry but be careful not to over feed and don't skip water changes or you can kill them all in foul water.

A few of this summer's crop the males fins are just starting to enlongate.

Jack
Last edited by Jackielee on Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
labyrinth

Post by labyrinth »

im close to branson missouri, does anyone know where i can find a microworm culture within atleast a 50 mile radious of 72601 ? my male plankat dragon went fin to fin with a albino vial tail today. i had thought he ate all the eggs but i discoverd he built ANOTHER nest behind his cup during the night and caught him stashing eggs from nest one in to it so i got a few hundred fry on the way if im so lucky...he does have a pudge as if he ate some of them but hes still guarding the nest like a trooper. and thanks for the advise also btw!! after 3 hrs of intense reading i came to the conclusion that;
A. Microworms are a magical creature that comes and goes as it pleases and can only live on cultures,
or
B. what you just said ;) hahah

also this is a pritty cool site i think ill look around some more . 8-)
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I'm in Garfield, AR. We will be in Branson on the 12th and morning of the 13th. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
stpierce

Post by stpierce »

I bought a starter colony off ebay a few months back and it worked well for me. Cost me $4-$5 and was delivered right to my door. Just a thought.
labyrinth

Post by labyrinth »

credit cards scare me and my wife hahahah
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Re: credit cards: you can buy one of those rechargeable Visa or Mastercard debit cards at Walmart and use it. Not expensive and you aren't going to run up any debt using it.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.