To fix a leaking tank or not...

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
mayfly1963

To fix a leaking tank or not...

Post by mayfly1963 »

Hi. I have a 125 gallon tank that has developed a leak...actually, the tank is starting to come apart! About a year ago, it was leaking and I resealed the entire tank, but did not take it completely apart -- just put new silicone on the inside. The top frame has separated on one end (front and back) and today the front glass started pulling away from the side glass on one end. So here's the question. Is the tank worth fixing? Is there anyone in NW Arkansas who does this type of work, and if so, what would something like that cost?
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Re: To fix a leaking tank or not...

Post by sskruzr »

Ummmmmmm Anybody got an idea? :roll:
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I would have recommended you if I could have spelled your name. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Corey (sskruzr) is our resident expert on rebuilding tanks. He just gave a talk on it at this month's meeting.

I had the same thing happen on an old 125-- the kind that didn't have a one-piece top frame, but four frame pieces with mitred corners instead. It split part way down. I fixed it by squirting silicone in between the seams where I could, resealing the inside, and then I took some of that 1/2" wide packing tape with the fiber, reinforcement strands in it (strapping tape?) and wrapped that around the outside corners before resiliconing the top frame over it. It held for the few additional years that I had the tank.

Mike
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
mayfly1963

Post by mayfly1963 »

Thanks Mike. I have a strap around the middle of the tank right now to keep it from separating any more. It is also the kind with the mitered plastic pieces around the edges. I really can't afford to replace the tank right now, so I think I"ll give your suggestion a try.

sskruzr, I'm sorry that I missed your talk...just found out about this forum today. Sounds like your talk would have come in handy for me.
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

In a case like this, I'd have to take a look at it to see what it would entail. Tanks never seem to hold when a seam splits whether it's on the bottom or side. Like Mike said, you have to more or less pry the 2 pieces apart and squirt as much silicone as you can in there. But if it was mine, I would take it apart and put it back together. Do you currently have fish in it? where you located?
Corey Mohrhauser
mayfly1963

Post by mayfly1963 »

I have two Oscars in the tank right now...I've lowered the water level about half-way down to stop the leak, and put a strap around the tank so hopefully the glass can't move any more. It looks like the front panel is pulled away about 1/16th of an inch from the side at the top. The inside silicone was still holding for the most part. There was one spot about 6 inches down where it had pulled away and was letting water underneath the inside seal, where it ran down the end of the tank on the outside.

I'm in Hagarville, which is about 70 miles east of Fort Smith. Do you do tank repairs? If so, what do you typically charge? From reading Mike's post, it sounds like the tank just suffers from poor design, with the mitered corners on the plastic pieces at the top and bottom. Age probably hasn't helped it either. I've priced a new tank at $585, so just wonder if this one is even worth messing with, or if it might make a good home for a lizard or snake instead! :lol:
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

I fixed an old oceanic with split seals once but wouldhave never trusted it in a house on floors other than concrete. Like you said it might make a dandy reptile tank form someone. Watch the ads and pick up a newer one with fewer issues if that is an option.

My 2 cents. Good luck not a problem anyone would want but many of us have delat with.

Jack
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Replacement one-piece frames are much stronger and can be special ordered. You may want to consider ordering them and replacing the old ones after the reseal. Before ordering, though, I'd take exact external measurements of the glass and compare to commercial tanks now on the market to be sure new frames would fit.
Mike Wickham
mayfly1963

Post by mayfly1963 »

Where would you order these frames from?
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

I'd only charge whatever the silicone would cost and I'd only use aquarium grade silicone that was specifically for aquariums. I do it for the fun and challenge. The problem you run into is the logistics. You'd have to bring it to me, sorry. To take it apart and re-assemble would take in the neighborhood of 5 or 6 tubes at 9 to 11 bucks depending on where you get it. You can order frames through your lfs but it takes time to get them, sometimes up to 2 months. The only places I've seen them online is http://www.thatpetplace.com and http://www.glasscages.com
Last edited by sskruzr on Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corey Mohrhauser
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

I'm not sure where to find the frames. I took a quick look on the Aqueon and Marineland websites and didn't see them listed, but they might have them available if you ask. Try asking the local shops if they can special order them. You could also try calling Aquarium Depot in Randallstown, MD. They used to sell them and probably still do: http://www.aquariumdepot.net/
Mike Wickham
mayfly1963

Post by mayfly1963 »

Thanks to all of you! I'm going to try to transfer the Oscars over to an old 30 gallon tank I have and go from there. It sounds like it is at least worth a try to do one more repair, but this time the old mitered corner frame is definitely going to be replaced. That's what failed the first time, and I would have replaced it then if I had known that was an option.

sskruzr, I wouldn't want you to repair it only for cost and would not even ask you to!!!!!! I have a sneaky suspicion that it's a pretty big job. When I get the tank drained I'll have a better idea of what we're up against. Can I pm you if it looks like more than we can handle?
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

Sure, drop me a pm when you decide. It's not really that big a job. I did a 210g a couple of years ago without any problems. Just need 2 hands when setting the glass
Corey Mohrhauser
mayfly1963

Post by mayfly1963 »

Thanks to you all for your input!
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Don't know how close to Hot Springs you are, but they are trying to start a new club down there. You might want to contact Trinity Daves <trinitydaves@gmail.com> if you have any interest. Denny
mayfly1963

Post by mayfly1963 »

Thanks Denny. I appreciate the tip.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I just looked at the map. You're probably not much farther from us in Rogers. Your always welcome to drop in on some of our meetings. Denny
mayfly1963

Post by mayfly1963 »

Thanks Denny. Although it was bad that my tank started leaking, I'm happy I came across this site...will probably join NWAAS in January and might even make it to a couple of meetings!

We weren't able to find a frame yet, so just took some of the reinforced packing tape as Mike said he had done, reinforced the corner where the frame split, then wrapped a layer of the tape around the entire top frame. It looks like that is going to work very well. I've resealed that corner with silicone, and will be putting water back in tomorrow, so fingers are crossed that there are no more leaks! Again, thank you all for your suggestions!
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Update? Did you get it to hold water?
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
mayfly1963

Post by mayfly1963 »

I know it's been a long time since I asked about the tank, but felt I should answer that last question, did we get it to hold water. The answer is yes, but not for long. I think it held for about a year, then I started noticing water on the floor and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. We finally found the leak at the bottom of the front corner of the tank. We decided that it was time to downsize to a smaller and newer tank, and got a 75 gallon tank to replace it.