Java Fern and Duckweed

Outdoor fishkeeping!
dennysfishroom

Java Fern and Duckweed

Post by dennysfishroom »

If anyone has any extra (lots) of Java Fern or Duckweed you'd like to get rid of, I could use it. Just bring it to the next meeting, and you can root around in my box of stuff for whatever you want in exchange. Thanks. Denny
dennysfishroom

Java Moss

Post by dennysfishroom »

Oops. I meant Java Moss not Java Fern. Denny
Dinosfishhouse

Post by Dinosfishhouse »

If you don't get any, I have plenty here for $4.60 shipping.
dennysfishroom

Java Moss/duckweed

Post by dennysfishroom »

Which one do you have? I'll keep it in mind if I don't get a response at the meeting. After seeing your score the last couple weeks, I was also wondering if you had any albino or regular Sunburst or Strawberry Peacocks. I just got 4, but suspect they may be all males. Just on the off chance??? Denny
Dinosfishhouse

Post by Dinosfishhouse »

Nope, no peacocks.
I have duckweed, java fern and java moss.
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

I have some java moss to spare, but not lots. If I have a huge surge in growth, I'll bring all I can to the meeting.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
LoveMyPleco

Post by LoveMyPleco »

enny,

I HAVE LLLLOOOTTTTSSS of duckweed! I will be cleaning out the pond this weekend.

We can't come to Octobers meeting butplan to come to Novembers, so i you can wait until then ir if you donot find any or enough before then I can get as much as I can and bring it.

Out of curiousity, what are you using it for?

Jenn
Honey, Just one more fish..please....
dennysfishroom

Duckweed

Post by dennysfishroom »

I would like to get a good amount into my ponds. If I had any this year, the tadpoles must have gotten it. I think they ate every bit of plant material I had in my ponds. Next year, hopefully, I'll have started working on some plan to have active ponds as opposed to static. Maybe I'll feed the tadpoles to my fish, too. The Java Moss is to try to get some plants going in some tanks that will be room temperature with western indirect sunlight. We'll see if that works. I'm pretty bad with plants. Maybe I should try some crypts, too. Denny
LoveMyPleco

Post by LoveMyPleco »

Well Denny, if you don't find any duckweed or don't find enough before November's meeting I will bring mine. I will wait to throw it out until I have heard if you have enough or want more.

Does duckweed die outside in the winter and not come back?

Jenn
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

No, duckweed will survive the winter in many locations. It can be very invasive for that exact reason.

Kevin
dennysfishroom

Duckweed

Post by dennysfishroom »

I'll be very interested in seeing if my Peacocks will make a meal of the duckweed, too. I think they do, but it's been so long since I had any duckweed in my ponds that I don't remember for sure. If that's the case, I probably don't have to be worried about being over-run with it. Denny
LoveMyPleco

Post by LoveMyPleco »

Ok, well if thats the case, Denny, you can have all of mine, my goldfish and koi eat it and I'm still OVERRUN with it. I kep giving it away and throwing it out!

Jenn
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Many fish with herbivore tendencies will eat duckweed. Michael's sailfin mollies will keep duckweed populations under control for instance. I believe that they do not eat the adult plants, but instead eat the young plants as they bud off.

Kevin
Bobby@W.U.W

Post by Bobby@W.U.W »

we grow duck weed at our store to feed our fish. we would give you some if you want it.
paramedic07

Re:

Post by paramedic07 »

I'll take some duckweed for my 30 gallon cube
sumpnfishy

Re: Java Fern and Duckweed

Post by sumpnfishy »

You did notice that this was October of LAST year, right? Though I'm sure several of us have duckweed, remember that once it's there it's practically impossible to get rid of.
Michael