Blackworm keeper

Tasty nutrition for your fish
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Blackworm keeper

Post by sskruzr »

Here's some pics of the worm keepers Denny and I made one weekend. Keeps a pound nicely. It has a pvc pipe outside the tank with an airstone in it to create a settle current and a Whisper jr w/a sponge pre-filter. I do a third water change 2 or 3 times a week and feed some flakes every other day or so.
Attachments
blackworm_keeper2.jpg
blackworm_keeper2.jpg (91.07 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
blackworm_keeper2.jpg
blackworm_keeper2.jpg (91.07 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
blackworm_keeper1.jpg
blackworm_keeper1.jpg (96.53 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
blackworm_keeper1.jpg
blackworm_keeper1.jpg (96.53 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
etheonut

Re: Blackworm keeper

Post by etheonut »

Could you build the same thing out of a rubbermaid tub to avoid having to drill a tank?

I do like the air driven current though. Ted Judy uses a lot of air driven devices in his fish room. Well, he used to at least. I think he has done some reconstruction since I saw it last.

Kevin
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

I'm not sure I understand what the PVC pipe is doing for you. Doesn't the airstone and filter create enough current without it?
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

Neat setup. Better than having them in the refrigerator stinking things up for sure. :mrgreen:
Thanks.
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

I did the rubbermaid container first but it ended up looking like some redneck filter I once saw. I also had trouble getting the fittings to seal on the container.

The original concept was to have just the pvc pipe with the stone and no outside filter, everybody knows I have plenty of air. I added the filter cause the water was cloudy and never got around to taking it off. Can't remember why I threw the air stone in there but could be removed. I hope to get 3 10g side by side on a shelf and tie them together with a sump. That way I won't have any worms in the fridge.
Corey Mohrhauser
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

If you are trying to get cross current - coundnt you have built the pvc so that it all fit inside the tank so it would not have to be drilled? then you would not have had to glue the joints - would be able to take it in and out easy to use to fit needs. Is the idea high oxgen to keep the worms alive? Not bashing design just trying to learn.....
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

Yeah that light bulb came on a couple days after I got this one going. Next one will be 3 10s tied together with drilled bottoms, going into the same sump and then seperate returns. Just gotta get the 10s
Corey Mohrhauser