Advice for aquarium heaters

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
LoveMyPleco

Advice for aquarium heaters

Post by LoveMyPleco »

I am replacing my heaters and adding new ones I thought I'd get some advice.
I think I'm going to go with the Marineland Visa-Therm Stealth heaters, since they are shatterproof and with the big cichlids and plecos thats a plus! also they auto shut off.
With that said, the larget is a 250 watt which is said tobe used for a 75 gallon tank. Is this accurate?

I have a 125 gallon, 5 foot long, 19 wide. Do I get 2 250 watt heaters and put one on each end? Or do I need to go with another heaters that handles more gallons? If so, suggestions on brand.

I have a 150 gallon, 4 feet long, by 2 foot wide by 30 inches tall, what woyuld be the suggestions for this? Two 250 watt again or more?

I am currently using only 1 heater in each tank, Rena Cal Excel 300 watt, rated for 55-100 gallons and it is keeping the water temp good, but of course its not cold yet either. And its glass and getting older.

Any suggestions form anyone will be helpful!!

Also, each tank consists of plecos and cichlids, silver dollars, and tin foils barbs.

Thanks,
Jenn
Honey, Just one more fish..please....
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

It is always a good idea to use two smaller heaters rather than a larger one due to the risk of overheating in case of a stuck element, or getting cold if one fails. This doesn't make a lot of sense in small tanks, but for bigger ones I always go with two heaters.
dennysfishroom

Heaters

Post by dennysfishroom »

Rule of thumb is 3-5 watts per gallon. I'm partial to Ebo_Jager heaters because the glass was thicker. if I was going to put it in with bigger fish as you suggest, I might go with 2 of the stainless or titanium heaters - no glass to break. I too would go with 2 heaters. Hope that helps. Denny
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Two heaters are especially good if you have a species that needs warmer water. I only had one in my discus tank and when it failed, I had some touch and go moments before the new heater brought the temp back up.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
LoveMyPleco

Post by LoveMyPleco »

Ok, so I checked the Ebo Jager heaters...the one I found in the "That Fish Place" catalog is not submersible, and I like the submersible, also it doesnot auto shut of whuich I like as a safety feature.

Has anyone had any experience with the Marineland VisaTherm Stealth? It is shatterproof and not glass and it has the auto shutoff.

So is the thought that I should go with 2 -250 watt rated for 75 gallons, which would make 2 heaters = 125 gallons for the 125 gallon tank and will just 2 - 250 watt be okay for the 150 galon as well?

Jenn
LoveMyPleco

Post by LoveMyPleco »

Denny,

Do you still have any of your used heaters? What size tanks are they for?

If any will work for a 30 gallon I may be interested in one or two?

Jenn
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I would love to see a product review on those Stealth heaters you are talking about. That is definitely something we could start doing on the forums.

Kevin
HiroPro

Post by HiroPro »

I've got 2 of the Visa-Therm Stealth heaters - one in my 55 and the other in my 15. So far, I haven't had any problems. They do blend in well with the background of my tanks - both are painted black.