wouldn't you know it

Come here just to talk about everyday life and other non-aquarium topics.
dennysfishroom

wouldn't you know it

Post by dennysfishroom »

I got a call from John Hanson tonight (fish breeder/wholesaler from around Hot Springs). Turns out they are having the Texas Cichlid expo next weekend, and one of the speakers wasn't able to make it. He was looking for either Mike or myself to fill in during the expo. Either one of us would have probably been interested if we didn't have the tour of the Neosho Fish Hatchery next weekend. I gave him Mike's phone number, so Mike may or may not be available for our tour. Since I had set up the tour, I didn't feel I could have missed it. It will be just my luck that it will rain next weekend, and we'll have to reschedule. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: wouldn't you know it

Post by mewickham »

I told him no, too. We have our own event scheduled, the notice was too short, and it wouldn't be fair to Sharon if I took another weekend day for a fish club event, when I have taken so many lately.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Actually, it would have been the whole weekend. Starts Friday and ends Sunday. Might have been pretty interesting for a cichlid guy. I've heard there's a lot of interest down there. Denny
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Afterward, I wondered what I might be missing out on, so I went to their site to see who else was speaking. Supposedly, Saturday is a whole day of speakers, but I couldn't find a single one listed anywhere. I don't understand these clubs that plan weekend-long events-- and want to draw large crowds-- but don't post the program until the very last minute (if at all). I suppose on the good side, whoever cancelled won't be missed-- since probably nobody knew about him in the first place.

Actually, there was a note on the home page about Gary Lange bringing rainbowfish eggs to auction after his talk. So I guess they did list at least one. Don't know if that's who cancelled, though. I believe he is out of the St. Louis area, and they got hit by the storm last night. So maybe he is the one who had to cancel. I hope he didn't suffer any damage.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

As I understand it, whoever canceled had been in Central America and had to have his foot amputated (recently). Not sure if it was a result of catching something there, or just was a result of pre-existing health issues. I recognized the name, but hadn't ever met the speaker. well, I hope John found a replacement. Denny