Random Victorian Cichlid Horror Story

From angelfish to zebra cichlids
etheonut

Random Victorian Cichlid Horror Story

Post by etheonut »

I had $20 in credit at one of the local stores and needed mice for the snakes, so I made a stop.

They have had a small group of unidentified victorian cichlids in their for several months that I have been watching (I have mentioned them before).
A customer brought them in, but the name was lost in the transaction. When I first asked about them they were priced at $9 a fish. That was a little pricey to buy a locally bred fish that was unknown.

I have watched as the little guys got pushed aside. The store owner took in a group of convict cichlids, 8-9 adults. The convicts pushed the little vics around and even laid several batches of eggs.

The little vics grew and the dominant male showed his colors. He was still trying to defend his space against the convicts.

So, back to the mice. I went in there yesterday to get some mice. I wandered over to check on the poor vics. Where there had been 6 or 7, now there were 3. The convicts were gone and sharing the tank with the little vics was now a large 3"+ piranha. The dominant male was missing his caudal fin. The two girls in the tank were fine. The tailess male was desperately trying to convince either of the girls to join him in the corner of the tank.

I couldn't take it. I asked the owner about it. He expressed his frustration about not being able to sell the over priced unnamed, unlabeled victorians. He said he put the piranha in there in hopes to finally be rid of them once and for all. I asked how much he wanted for the trio and left with them for $5.

Hopefully the male will regrow his tail. I will try to get a decent picture of the male and maybe one of you all can tell me what he is.

Kevin
etheonut

Re: Random Victorian Cichlid Horror Story

Post by etheonut »

5 minutes with google and the species is: Haplochromis aeneocolor

The male looks to be doing well in the tank. He is flirting with the girls to his heart's content.

Kevin

the picture match is here: http://www.paradise-malawi-cichlids.com/index.php?cat=10&pn=1&mag=1
im2smart4u

Post by im2smart4u »

That seems like a stupid owner. If he doesn't know the name, he shouldn't charge so much. Also, if he really wanted to get rid of them, all he had to do is reduce their price or give them away. Somebody would have taken them. To try to purposefully kill them with another fish just seems stupid. Some money is always better than no money.
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

I'm dyin' to know.....

What happened with the mice?
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

They helped my bullsnakes grow.....

Kevin
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Wouldn't happen to have been the one with the biblically-based name, would it? If so, any chance they may be astatotilapia aeneocolor instead?

I traded them some a few months ago and tried my best to get them to pay a little attention to what I was telling them. I had written the name down on a piece of paper and handed it to the guy, but he just stuck it under the counter without looking at it.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Yep, I have your fish now Kenna.

Kevin
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

I'm glad you rescued them!
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.