I'm new.

Tell us about yourself! Find tips on using our forum.
mistymists

I'm new.

Post by mistymists »

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. My name is Misty; I'm a biochemistry/biology major at the U of A. I've only got a small 10 gal setup with ghost shrimp, snails, and some guppies (all bought from petsmart). Would love to expained past that, but that costs money. Hope I get to meet you all at some point in time.
One day I will have at least one tank in every room in my house. Three down so many more to go!
dennysfishroom

Re: I'm new.

Post by dennysfishroom »

Welcome,

We'd love to have you join us for one of our monthly meetings. The next one is Saturday, June 11th, at the Rogers Police Department meeting room at 6:30pm, and will be on Aquarium Photography. We welcome all levels of interest and experience, and try to encourage everyone in need of advice, social interaction with other aquarists, or ideas concerning the hobby. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Welcome, Misty! We'd love to see you at a meeting. There's a program every month and goody bags for new faces (and for new members who join the club). We have a mini auction after most meetings where you can find some real steals. But, if you can't make it to a meeting, feel free to post on the forum. We're always ready to talk about fish and aquariums-- 365 days a year. There's even a live chat on Monday nights.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
mistymists

Post by mistymists »

Thanks for the welcome guys. I was interested in your club, but I have to work every friday and saturday night until 7am so I can't make any of the meetings they sound really fun though.

Hey, I was wondering does the club take fish donations for the auctions? One of my guppies had fry (I thought it was sick so I pulled her) and now I have all these baby fish. I'm trying to line up homes in advance since I can't take care of that many adult fish, but it's proving to be difficult. They're only about two weeks old now, so it'll still be awhile before they are ready for new homes. They appear to be very healthy, so I need to either find a lot of friends that like fish (which none of my friends do) or find a "cause" to donate them to. Not sure how many there are as they move too fast, but I do know the number is greater than ten. They aren't anything special or breeding quality just your run of the mill petsmart fish. I'd even be willing to give them to a local pet store if I knew one that would take them. I just don't feel right flushing them down the toilet, and I'm not willing to distrupt a local ecosystem just so they are "live in nature" as one of my co-workers told me.
One day I will have at least one tank in every room in my house. Three down so many more to go!
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

petco or pet smart have a tank that peaple can place unwanted fish for other peaple to take home (petco in rogers uses the plant tank)
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

You certainly could donate the fish to an auction, though it would be better to grow them out. I'm not sure fry would be very appealing.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
mistymists

Post by mistymists »

Well the plan was to grow them out. I wouldn't dump fry on anyone. I know when I got freddie he was a stowaway and I had to buy the breeding net to save him from the filter. Luckily I kept the breeding net :D