bede atlas of aquarium fishes

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
rpddink

bede atlas of aquarium fishes

Post by rpddink »

Anyone know how good this book is? ever lookd at it? Is the info good? reviews would be great
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: bede atlas of aquarium fishes

Post by mewickham »

The book is pretty darned good. If you've ever seen a copy of Dr. Axelrod's Atlas of Freshwater Aquarium Fishes, it's very similar, but a little cleaner in layout. And it's a big honker-- around 10" x 13" x 2", and weighing it at 11 lbs. There are 1048 pages, nearly all of which contain eight glossy photos each of fish species (there are multiple photos of some species), with keys below each for size, water parameters, etc. In other words, it is a fantastic book for identifying fishes, or just drooling over species you'd like to have, but there are no textual descriptions on the species. So this book won't tell you if a fish is nippy, about it's breeding behavior, etc. It does have icons that list if a species is omnivore/carnivore/herbivore and a 1-6 rating of degree of difficulty.

Anyway, I highly recommend it. The book is not cheap, though. If you're trying to make up your mind about whether or not to buy one, you're welcome to stop by and take a preview of my copy to see if it's what you're hoping for.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

went ahead and pulled the trigger. got it for $25.00 so it maybe the best 25 Ive ever spent... :lol:
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

A fantastic deal, I'd say! I think I paid around $120 for my copy, eight years ago. Apparently, the book is now out of print and Amazon is listing it for $299 new, and $146+ for used.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair