$1 fish at petsmart

Dealers may post specials, newsletters, events, etc. Everyone may post discussions of fishes or dry goods you may have seen available at local stores.
Forum rules
Everyone:
This section is for everyone to post specials or notes about interesting fish and items that they may have seen in a local store. It is NOT for discussing the stores' business practices or customer disputes. Please keep it friendly and related to the topic at hand. Any other content will be deleted.

Dealers:
Please feel free to post your new arrivals, specials, newsletters, events, and so forth. We appreciate our local dealers and want to help you grow your business. It is NWAAS' way of giving back to the stores that support our fabulous hobby.
NOTE: By "dealers" we mean aquarium-related businesses, such as aquarium stores, pet shops, breeders, and other businesses that sell aquarium livestock and/or supplies.
Blue-Ram101

$1 fish at petsmart

Post by Blue-Ram101 »

Petsmart has cardinal, jumbo neon and red long fin tetra and one or two others for a dollar a piece. Just have to have a free pets perk card.
If you have to think about it... You probably just spent to much on something for your fish tank!!
exotictropicals

Re: $1 fish at petsmart

Post by exotictropicals »

and medication
Blue-Ram101

Post by Blue-Ram101 »

Figured that was a given ;)
If you have to think about it... You probably just spent to much on something for your fish tank!!
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

wow a store with ich........................
Blue-Ram101

Post by Blue-Ram101 »

We all know buying any fish from a chain store runs a risk of illness, so not sure what the surprise is. I picked up a few serpae long fin, placed them in a treated quarantine tank like anyone should. No ich or loss of fish once introduced to my main tank. I am an avid supporter of LFS's 90% of my fish and a higher % of my plants came from exotic tropicals now noahs ark. However I also operate on a pretty small budget and was passing along a pretty decent deal I ran across. ultimately its the buyers decision.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I have had just as many bad experiences with big chain stores as I have had with locally owned stores.
The fish hobby has always been and will always be a buyer beware hobby.

Kevin
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

What I was trying to say by " wow a store with ich" was that as aquarium owners we should be preparedto deal with illness from ANY store. Because all stores get/have fish with problems and I have never found a store with out illnesses. We just should not exclude any store from the list.
Stores can't he'll it when the get 100s of fish from distributors every few weeks one is bound to infect tank. We should just be prepared when we buy ANY fish!
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I know that stores work very hard to keep dead and dieing fish out of sight. I remember Ted commented in one of his video blogs about a fish store he had just visited not having a single sick fish in any tanks. I personally would rather the fish stay in there so that I can see what is going on with that tank. I am not saying leave a dead fish floating in a tank, but if you are having trouble with a group of fish, don't try to hide it. I remember stores that used to mark whole tanks full of fish as sick and not for sale. I even had a store that knew me pretty well call me at home a couple days after I picked up some dwarf cichlids to tell me tha the same tank had broken out in ich that day, now that is customer service.

Kevin
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

I've always been set against buying at the big box stores in support of the LFS. The problem is that it has become very difficult to find any kind of selection of bread and butter species at the LFS. If I'm looking for a variety of tetras the only place I'm going to get a good selection is at Petsmart. I still wouldn't buy my supplies there but the fish selection is much better quality than it used to be.
Michael
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Agreed. It is, of course, one goal of the club to promote and support the LOCAL fish stores, but it is also important to remember that not all members can afford to buy fish at LFS prices if a big box store is selling them at $1/each.

All the fish I currently have were bought at the former Exotics or at NWAAS and HAAS auctions.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.