Is it always that violent?

Barbs, danios, gouramies, tetras, and other fish that don't fit into the above categories
kribkid17

Is it always that violent?

Post by kribkid17 »

I tried to breed my bettas today. The female had bars and the male had a huge bubble nest. I had been conditioning them on blackworms. The female had been floating around in the males tank in a breeder box. This morning I released her and the male started attacking her. I've heard this is normal but she was losing alot of fins and she was getting beat up pretty bad so I took her out. Is it always this bad? Is there anything that I can do to make them less violent?
Jackielee

Re: Is it always that violent?

Post by Jackielee »

Use a decent sized tank and give her plenty of plants and hiding places. Many use too small of a tank and they need space. Some are not breeders just beaters too. No for sure things with any fish. good luck. Jack
kribkid17

Post by kribkid17 »

The tank footprint is 24x8in so it's big enough. The right half of the tank is bare with the males bubble nest and the left half is dense plants. I added the female back in because she was showing bars again. The Female will hide in the plants then the male will come and dance and she will follow him to his nest but she never goes under his nest, it's like she is afraid to go under his nest. After awhile of waiting, the male will chase her off and she will hide in the plants. And then the cycle will repeat. The male has a very big nest and it's 2-4 bubble thick.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Usually that means the female is not quite ready. She'll usually cooperate when she is. She will also be very rotund, and her spawning tube will be very prominent. Good luck. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
kribkid17

Post by kribkid17 »

I went away from the tank for a little while and when i came back both fish were under the nest and it looked like they were trying to wrap. I had to go eat and when i came back the female was hiding in the plants and the male was tending to his nest, which had been messed up a little. The female is just as big as before.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

This is probably not relevant, but I mention it just in case you don't already know. Be sure you actually have a female. A fair percentage of the fish sold as female bettas are really short-finned males. Look for the ovipositor. If it's not showing-- it's a white ich-like dot at the vent-- the fish is a male. Another problem with breeding bettas is using freshly purchased fish. They are almost always too young too breed.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
kribkid17

Post by kribkid17 »

Thanks mike, but I know I have a male and a female. I just wish some other fish were as easy to tell genders
Chard56

Post by Chard56 »

Most of my spawns go without a mishap. I have some that, when done I can't see so much as misplaced scale. On occassion I have a pair that is just down right incompatable. You need to have an alternate backup plan ie. a different male or female. Take the male out and let the female have the run of the tank. Place a mirror next to the nest site to distract the male. Mix it up a little and try different ways. Not all spawnings work or work out the same. I have an ancient (not chinese) secret if you continue having problems. PM me if you do.
kribkid17

Post by kribkid17 »

Well the female was ready to breed. This morning when I turned on the aquaruim light, the bottom of her tank was covered in eggs. There were alot of eggs for a fish that small. How long will it take before she is ready to breed again?
Chard56

Post by Chard56 »

I've bred then again in a week to 2 weeks. Just feed them good for a week to 10 days and try again.