revisiting: filtration in planted tanks

Add some green (or red or pink or purple) to your aquarium!
pumpkinseed

revisiting: filtration in planted tanks

Post by pumpkinseed »

Being a newbie on the forum, it has taken me a while to read through all the old posts, and
I am still at it. The post about filtration in planted tanks was interesting for a number
of reasons. My recollection is that a balanced aquarium needs very few toys to keep its
cycle running smoothly. Is filtration over rated? I have read information about
Co2 infusion into a planted tank with a slightly jaundiced eye. This is a new innovation
since I last had fish. Why wouldn't the night time switch over from Co2 to O2 use make this
redundant? Or does technology like filtration and Co2 infusion just make it so much easier to succeed?

Still learning,
Pumpkinseed

Small, tenacious and exceedingly curious......
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: revisiting: filtration in planted tanks

Post by mewickham »

pumpkinseed wrote:My recollection is that a balanced aquarium needs very few toys to keep its cycle running smoothly. Is filtration over rated?
True enough. Filtration, technically, may not be necessary. But I wouldn't call it overrated. Without filtration, you'd have to change water MUCH more often, and the water would be more likely to become cloudy. You'd probably also have to keep many fewer fish in the aquarium, since filtration also circulates the water, which oxygenates it.
I have read information about
Co2 infusion into a planted tank with a slightly jaundiced eye. This is a new innovation
since I last had fish. Why wouldn't the night time switch over from Co2 to O2 use make this
redundant? Or does technology like filtration and Co2 infusion just make it so much easier to succeed?.
CO2 additions are completely unnecessary (except to grow some species that do not prefer to live underwater and flounder without it). My plants certainly grow like crazy without CO2 supplementation. But adding CO2 can make them grow even faster and lusher. So some hobbyists like to take that extra step. CO2 should be shut off at night, though, as plants switch from photosynthesis to respiration. Those that use CO2, often hook it up to a pH controller on a timer to turn it on during the day and off at night.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
pumpkinseed

Re: revisiting: filtration in planted tanks

Post by pumpkinseed »

Thanks for your reply. I will have to watch inital set up $$ closedly, and I thought I was really missing something.
I appreciate your info and candor.

Pumpkinseed

Small, tenacious and exceedingly curious