Blue Crayfish

Crayfish, shrimp, snails, newts, frogs, turtles, etc.
mistymists

Blue Crayfish

Post by mistymists »

My new pet, we won't mention the fact that my fiancée is going to kill me when he comes home and sees it.

I do have a question though, the lady at petco (I know awful place) said it needs carnivore pellets only. Anyone know the actual protein requirements for this guy? She couldn't even tell me how big he'll get, so I'm just not sure.
One day I will have at least one tank in every room in my house. Three down so many more to go!
Jackielee

Re: Blue Crayfish

Post by Jackielee »

http://www.bluecrayfish.com/forum/

This might be the spot for info on the crayfish. A lot of crayfish like fish for food so probably he needs his own spot. Good luck with him.

Jack
Blue-Ram101

Post by Blue-Ram101 »

That is nifty looking
If you have to think about it... You probably just spent to much on something for your fish tank!!
mistymists

Post by mistymists »

Surprisingly she hasn't gone after the fish yet, but she is hoarding algae wafers from the fish. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about that cause I have yet to see her eat one. I think she just doesn't like the fish to eat them.
One day I will have at least one tank in every room in my house. Three down so many more to go!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

You don't have to limit the crayfish to carnivore pellets. They'll eat pretty much anything, meaty foods, vegetable-based foods, fish (if they can catch them), plants, snails, etc. Beware that crayfish are diggers, and often dig up (and eat) plants, disturb decorations, and will crawl out of the tank if it is not well covered. They are cool, though.

I just saw a new variety called "electric white" at Aquatek Tropical Fish in Austin. That store is WELL worth the visit for anyone in the area.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

The biggest thing I know you will need too watch on the food is the copper content
mistymists

Post by mistymists »

so I put my algae eater in with the crayfish. It was a hoot. The crayfish stared at the fish, pushed it over a little, stared some more, pushed it some more, and kept doing this until it was able to walk along side the glass where the fish had been laying. The fish just laid there and took it, didn't try to swim away or anything. So I've pretty much determined my crayfish doesn't like fish for dinner lol this thing is an easy meal and she just has no interest what so ever.