in yesterday

Dealers may post specials, newsletters, events, etc. Everyone may post discussions of fishes or dry goods you may have seen available at local stores.
Forum rules
Everyone:
This section is for everyone to post specials or notes about interesting fish and items that they may have seen in a local store. It is NOT for discussing the stores' business practices or customer disputes. Please keep it friendly and related to the topic at hand. Any other content will be deleted.

Dealers:
Please feel free to post your new arrivals, specials, newsletters, events, and so forth. We appreciate our local dealers and want to help you grow your business. It is NWAAS' way of giving back to the stores that support our fabulous hobby.
NOTE: By "dealers" we mean aquarium-related businesses, such as aquarium stores, pet shops, breeders, and other businesses that sell aquarium livestock and/or supplies.
exotictropicals

in yesterday

Post by exotictropicals »

mono argenetus
mono sebae
peppermint pleco
albino choclate pleco
gold nugget
balloon molly
painted glass tetra
red eye tetra and more

along with more tommorow afternoon
rpddink

Re: in yesterday

Post by rpddink »

I dont know how most peaple feel but I would not mind if stores did not carry dyed / injected fish.............

anyone else?
exotictropicals

To get the cool rare things everyone wants we have to make sales of things the rest of the public wants, If we didnt
supplie the ornamental fish we wouldnt be in buisness and you would have to shop at chain stores and internet where
they dont make an effort to sell healthy fish. Then there would be people discouraged and quit the hobby! the point of the club is to incourage others to join the hobby so they can be as interested and share the love of aquatics as we do, even if its the painted or injected fish that they may like more than the natural fish we thrive on.
exotictropicals

but they have made more attempts to make the dye and paint less toxic and less stressful for the fish.
Blue-Ram101

Post by Blue-Ram101 »

those new pleccos defintely caught my eye...
If you have to think about it... You probably just spent to much on something for your fish tank!!
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

Um..... not sure how to respond to those statements....really?
exotictropicals

Im sorry if I offended but we really dont have a choice either sell what people want or go out of buisness like everyone else
we really have no choice i dont even agree with the dyes but some people like it and we want this buisness to thrive
Blue-Ram101

Post by Blue-Ram101 »

rpddink wrote:Um..... not sure how to respond to those statements....really?
Many people are not fans of the dyed or injected fish. The hard truth is that many people are not aware or simply don't care, and they want to spend money too. Have to remember to stay in business have to cater to all, i think everyone would agree we don't want to lose one of our LFS
If you have to think about it... You probably just spent to much on something for your fish tank!!
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

100 % agree that - want you guys to have great sales and I love the way the store is going and - for one try to spend all of my hobby budget at my lfs.
But let's please remember that all I said was that "I wouldn't mind not seeing them" - NOT you should not carry them. I was only sharing the fact that I would not miss them - so easy...........
I want you guy to have great success I am a huge promoter for the new store.
Two many of our members sell on aquabid and they sell healthy fish!
exotictropicals

me either an i am sorry theres just already so many people attacking the store because there scarewd of change change is good
Blue-Ram101

Post by Blue-Ram101 »

Selling 1900 dogs like hot cakes? I would say change is good!!
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Just be happy you aren't in England however where the entire country of hobbyists was encouraged to boycott stores that carried dyed fish! I would agree that you need to sell fish that the people want but that could certainly mean providing species with lots of color that is natural. The promoters of the fish may say it's safer for the fish these days but I'm not buying it. Selling fish that have shortened life spans does nothing to encourage the hobby either.
Still liking the better selection though!!
exotictropicals

well again im sorry got ahead of myself
did not know there was so many people against them but you do have reason
and no we dont sell the pups that fast i have actually turned someone down because he has two agressive dogs that would most likely hurt one of our pups we are very carefull to whom we sell these dogs like our fish they need to be matched up
on compatability
if you guys would give me ideas on what species of fish is better and more colorful and affordable maybe we could
rid of the paints.
thank you guys rick
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Ok lets settle down everyone.

I am not a fan of colored and dyed fish either, but these guys have to respond to their customers.
Until such a time that they are not selling those fish almost as fast as they can order them, they aren't going to stop selling them. I think we all agree that if they are turning a profit, then they should continue to do so.

I believe it is our place as hobbyist in a club to reach out to those people who are buying those fish and show them the intricacies and beauties of the fish that we love. Alieniating people because they like to buy colorful fish, artificial or otherwise, will not help the club or the local fish stores.

I would love to see a list of fish posted here that are colorful and easy to keep. I think that is a wonderful challenge for all of us to step up to.
I will start it out:

Female kribensis - if they are displayed properly they show bright reds and gold contrasted with black. I would say that an adult female kribensis is more beautiful and colorful than a painted glass fish. On top of that they are just as easy to keep and if you keep a pair then you get the experience of watching them herd babies around the tank.

So, club, lets here yours.

Kevin
Blue-Ram101

Post by Blue-Ram101 »

+1 to the Krib's

Also I think the different variety of killifish are gorgeous! I would like to see some of those carried.... once I get my bigger tank up ^_^
exotictropicals

This is good kribs I agree killifish also
ideas will always be acepted and looking forward to seeing some I think danios also there is so many varietys
anyone else and if theres dry goods you use more than others that will help our store become a one stop shop let me know or something we have that isnt up to par let me know
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Killifish are nice! Some are good beginner fish some are, well, more difficult.

They are another fish that can introduce someone to the wonders of breeding fish with only some simple techniques.

I will add barbs to the list, my Odessa barbs are gorgeous!

Kevin
Blue-Ram101

Post by Blue-Ram101 »

etheonut wrote:Killifish are nice! Some are good beginner fish some are, well, more difficult.

They are another fish that can introduce someone to the wonders of breeding fish with only some simple techniques.

I will add barbs to the list, my Odessa barbs are gorgeous!

Kevin

I recently saw some of those odessa barbs and yes they are pretty, between danio's and tetras seems like there are ever broadening colors!!! I love my serpea long fins!

One thing too I was just thinking about, since in crowded tanks, a fishes color is not always true to what they will look like in a less stressful enviroment, maybe carrier some photos of "healthy" specimens you can stick up on the corresponding tanks to give people an accurate idea of what they can expect. Just a thought!
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Unfortunately killies make poor fish in the stores with only a few exceptions. The ones that do well in store tanks are often excellent aquarium fish however!
Pretty fish list:
Tetras: serpaes, HY511, Columbians, Red or black phantoms, H. bentosi, Von Rio (and the list could go on).
Cyprinids: Black ruby barb, Glowlight danio, Fire rasbora, Cherry barb, Celestial Pearl Danio
Killies: flagfish, Golden panchax, clown killies
Loaches: clown loach, skunk loach
I'll end there for tonight.
Michael
Chard56

Post by Chard56 »

Female Betta sorority tanks are my favorite. Male Bettas are more colorful today than I ever would have thought possible and the females colors rival the males. Image Image Image Are you buying your Bettas from overseas? You could be buying them locally and keeping American money in America!
Blue-Ram101

Post by Blue-Ram101 »

Have never seen female betta with that color!!
mistymists

Post by mistymists »

Geez... You make me want to set up one of those tanks... But I swore no more fish for awhile!
One day I will have at least one tank in every room in my house. Three down so many more to go!
exotictropicals

send me pm of price and if its abetter deal then what i get were in buiseness
mistymists

Post by mistymists »

Guppies... you can't kill them (I've pretty much tried, but not on purpose). They come in practically every color and males can be kept in groups together. I drool over the ones on aquabid, unfortunately I just don't have $60 to spend on one fish.

On a side note, my friend has one of my guppy fry in a tank her male betta... they are co-existing beautifully. I'm surprised; I figured the betta would kill the guppy. It hasn't yet though.
One day I will have at least one tank in every room in my house. Three down so many more to go!