Plant Food Question!

Add some green (or red or pink or purple) to your aquarium!
elizabeth1982

Plant Food Question!

Post by elizabeth1982 »

I was going to buy some "Tetra: Flora Pride" today at work, because that is what I normally buy, but we had some "Pond Care: Aquatic Plant Food Liquid" on clearance for $1.00 so I got it instead. It's a big bottle, because it's meant for ponds. I compared the back of the Flora Pride to the other and they have pretty much the same ingredients and percentages.

On the Flora Pride it reads:

Instructions: Initially use 10mL for every 10 gallons (38 liters) of water. Replenish monthly with every water change at a rate of 10mL for 20 gallons of water.

Ingredients: Potassium Sulfate, EDTA, Iron Chloride, Sodium Hydroxide, DPTA, Ammonium Heptamolybdate, with Demineralized Water.

Guaranteed Analysis: Soluble Potash (K2O) 3.00% Iron (Fe) 0.19% Molybdenum (Mo) 0.0005%

On the Aquatic Plant Food Liquid it reads:

Instructions: Add two tablespoons (30 ml) weekly, for each 60 US Gal (228 L) of pond water.

Ingredients: Potassium Sulfate and Iron EDTA.

Guaranteed Analysis: Soluble Potash (K2O) 3.00%, Iron (Fe) 0.10%, Chelated Iron (Fe) .10%

So, it seems to me they are pretty much the same thing. Instead of using 30 ml, though, for 60 gallons I would just be using 5 ml for my 10 gallons is what I figured. However, at the bottom of the Aquatic Plant Food Liquid it reads, "Keep out of reach of children. For garden pond use only. Not for human consumption or for fish intended for human consumption." So, that throws me off.

Does anyone know if this in the smaller dose that I figured out would be just fine and pretty much just like Flora Pride in my tank?
"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothin' special." - Shelby Latcherie (character) from Steel Magnolias
mistymists

Re: Plant Food Question!

Post by mistymists »

They are not exactly the same no. But 5ml per ten gallions would be your ratio. The disclaimer basicly means if you intend to eat anything out of your tank don't use. You will get sick if you ingest it. Lots of people have ponds to raise fish for food, so they wouldn't want to use this product. However for an ordimential tank it should be fine though you many find an increase in algae growth as its needed to support the ecosystem of a natural pond. Then again you may not, I'm not an expert in plant foods.
One day I will have at least one tank in every room in my house. Three down so many more to go!
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

These products can go bad too so look fro an expiration date if it was on sale. I have found you have to be real careful on dosing tanks with these products or you can get an algae bloom which means green water not just green tanks. Definitely experiment with them but go slow and continue regular water changes. Planted tanks are fun. :D
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

this is not a "well balanced" plant food (leaves out some big nutrients). But works for a basic fert. if you do not have a very heavy plant ratio.
elizabeth1982

Post by elizabeth1982 »

Jackielee wrote:These products can go bad too so look fro an expiration date if it was on sale. I have found you have to be real careful on dosing tanks with these products or you can get an algae bloom which means green water not just green tanks. Definitely experiment with them but go slow and continue regular water changes. Planted tanks are fun. :D
I looked and looked all over and see no expiration date, just a lot number. We didn't have these bottles in-store for too long, they just didn't sell well and we also changed out our pond products, so I think that is why they went to clearance. If it says 30 ml for 60 gallons then that is 5 ml for 10 gallons, but I dosed it with about 3.5 ml just to be safe. Now I just wait and see what happens.
rpddink wrote:this is not a "well balanced" plant food (leaves out some big nutrients). But works for a basic fert. if you do not have a very heavy plant ratio.
I don't have a heavily planted tank, and my plants are doing good. I just want to keep them that way. All I have in my tank is an anacharis loose plant and an anubias potted plant. The anubias potted plant, actually two of them, are growing really well and are healthy. The anacharis is doing well too, still very bright green and healthy, I just know it's more fragile than the anubias plants. So, if this stuff will work as a basic fert to keep my lil' plants healthy I will be happy with that. :)
"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothin' special." - Shelby Latcherie (character) from Steel Magnolias
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

I would think it would be great