Infusoria/greenwater

Tasty nutrition for your fish
sumpnfishy

Infusoria/greenwater

Post by sumpnfishy »

Anybody have any luck getting infusoria going? I've never been very successful getting a strong culture even though it supposed to be easy. By tiny fry (pearl gouramis, barbs, rainbows) are proving very hard to raise in larger numbers with the dry foods.
Also, if anyone has some greenwater they need to get rid of that would help.
Michael
Chard56

Re: Infusoria/greenwater

Post by Chard56 »

I have two 1 quart jars on the kitchen counter with old tank water for infusoria that I add a few small pieces of lettuce to when ever I think of it. It is not supposed to smell so if it ever does pour it out and start a new one. I pour it through a fine net and add the water directly to the newly hatched fry tank. In the bathroom window I have a gallon jar of old aquarium water. In direct sunlight part of the day it turned green in a few days time. No lettuce or anything added. Pour some through the net or use a turkey baster and feed to your fry.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Michael, what method are you using to grow the infusoria? I've heard of using crush lettuce or grass clippings to get things started. I can't say that I've ever tried either, though.

I sometimes collects samples of pond water for viewing under the microscope-- particularly submerged dead leaves and debris from the edge of a pond-- and am amazed at the amount of critters (microscopic and otherwise) that show up in it. I've seen some really good clouds of protozoa show up in that water while it's sitting on my counter. So maybe some dead, submerged leaves would be a good starter for you?
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

You shoujld be cautious of any grass clippings or other byproducts from an urban or suburban area as you might introduce toxic chemicals.

For that matter, you should be cautious of clippings from rural areas too, unfortunately.

Kevin