Hello to all!

Tell us about yourself! Find tips on using our forum.
TerriM

Hello to all!

Post by TerriM »

Hello everyone. My name is Terri and I am currently residing in Springfield. It seems I am rather betwixt and between four aquarium clubs, with this one being perhaps the closest. I have had aquariums for several years on and off and have a special fondness for cichlids. All cichlids but an overall special fondness for the Lake Tanganyika cichlids, with a little Lake Malawi thrown in. :) I used to raise and sell a shell dweller commonly known as Similis (named for their similarity to the ever popular Multies.)

After trying to find the specific fish I want and failing miserably, I finally ordered them online. The newest tank is cycled and the new babies should be here this week. I will have two different varieties of the shell dwellers (Lamprologus sp. "Kigoma" ornatipinnis and Lamprologus ocellatus, gold) and one variety of the Lake Tanganyika fresh water Goby Cichlid(Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Spot.)

I look forward to getting to know some of you and would love to attend meetings whenever possible. I certainly will try to attend the auctions as well. I highly doubt I will have any fry by the time of the fist auction this spring, but hopefully the second one will see some success there.

Terri
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: Hello to all!

Post by mewickham »

Hi, Terri,

It's always good to see a new face on the forum, and even better when a new face shows up at a meeting! You can find all about meetings HERE, including the schedule of upcoming program topics. Those shell dwellers are a lot of fun, and when you do get some fry, I'll bet you'll have no trouble finding an outlet for them.

Welcome to the forum!
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
TerriM

Post by TerriM »

Thank you Mike. I've been reading a lot of posts on the forum and would love to attend a meeting. Hopefully I'll be able to in the future. Are they always in the evening? Am really looking forward to becoming an active participant! :D
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

you've got some cool interests. I've had multies for years and was always tempted to get similis as well but have only seen two individuals (at a steep price) in shops over the years. I never wanted them bad enough to order online. I was just talking to a fellow OKC clubmember yesterday that has similis so hopefully between you and him, we can get them established in the area. I just got rid of my last meleagris/stappersi yesterday (lost my breeding colony last year). I have kept Brevis in the past and currently have a colony of similis. I really like the ornatipinnis, I eyeball them at Dave's Rare Fish in San Antonio every time I walk through but have not brought any home.

If any of u ever want multies, I've had an ongoing colony for about 8 years now that is very productive. Kyle
Okarche, OK
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Hi, Terri. Yes, our regular meetings are always in the evening-- starting at 6:30 PM on the second Saturday of each month. (The first half hour is spent socializing. The program doesn't start until 7:00 PM.) We're normally done by 9:00 PM-- sometimes earlier, sometimes a bit later.

We also have occasional field trips that are done earlier in the day.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
TerriM

Post by TerriM »

Thank you, Kyle, I'll keep that in mind on the multies. The fish I ordered got here Friday. Had a couple casualties in shipping, guess that's the way it works sometimes. :cry: Lost three of the gold ocellatus, leaving three. Am hoping for both sexes. If not will have to order more. The ornatipinnis finally are coming out of their shells today, they are so very shy.

I'm not 100% sure that I'm liking those gobies much. They are a bit more aggressive that I understood them to be. If they want to stay that aggressive they'll be moving to another tank. LOL

So right now other than the shellies I have a 55 as well with some rusty cichlids, and a pair of Pelvicachromis pulcher, actually inherited the female and bought her a boyfriend yesterday, so far they seem to like each other. I've never had them before, they are quite interesting.

And Mike, thank you for confirming the time of the usual meetings. The worst part is the couple hour drive back home. We'll see what happens. Certainly if you get close on a field trip I'll do my best to attend.