BN Plecos

Barbs, danios, gouramies, tetras, and other fish that don't fit into the above categories
dennysfishroom

BN Plecos

Post by dennysfishroom »

For several years after we moved here, my BN plecos were spawning pretty regularly. Then I tore the tank down with the intention of setting up other breeders. For some reason, that just didn't happen. In the last couple of weeks I've lost several plecos in that tank, and was going to set it up again with other plecos. Then today I looked in there, and it was just loaded with albino BN plecos fry. I suspect I had more males in there than I thought, and the dominate male decided they had to go, so he killed them. At least they're going again. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: BN Plecos

Post by mewickham »

Congrats on the baby plecos, and for those following along who are unfamiliar, BN = bushy-nose.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
Chard56

Post by Chard56 »

I thought BN was for bristle nose.
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

The dominate male always seems to get the majority of the action tanks where i have more than one male. Kind of a survival of the fittest thing I guess. I try to spread mine out but usually end up with more than one male so only one cave producing fry. I enjoy the BN very much.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

BN has been used pretty much interchangeably for bristlenose and bushynose for quite some time now. There are quite a few species that seem to fall into this grouping, and it's possible that early on there was a reason for the difference, but now I don't believe there is. Denny
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Denny,

When can I buy a half dozen of these guys from you?

Kevin
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I like to have them grow a little before I sell them. There seems to be a point where the mortality decreases, and I think it's around 1 1/2-2 inches. Don't know if that's when they finally have the flora in their gut to digest the fiber or what. It seams like smaller than this =, and the mortality can be significant. Hopefully, I'll have some for our auction, or maybe for the BAP. Denny