Aquapalooza Adventures

For discussion of upcoming events in NWA and beyond. Auction rules and registration forms can also be found here.
dennysfishroom

Aquapalooza Adventures

Post by dennysfishroom »

Do you ever walk around thinking that you must be dreaming because these things don't happen in real life. Welcome to our trip to Aquapalooza 2012 in OKC. I had made my hotel reservations through the link on the OKAA site. When we got to the hotel Saturday afternoon, they had our reservation, but didn't know anything about a fish show. The people at the desk said maybe the show was at one of the other 2 hotels by the same name in OKC. They called, but neither of the other hotels knew anything about a fish show. Then I tried calling people from our club who were supposed to be in OKC. No response. We then tried to use one of the hotels computers to get info on the fish show. We finally were able to access the OKAA website , and found that the show was at one of the other hotels. We tried to switch our reservations, but they were completely booked because of the OKC Marthon being run on Sunday morning. We were directed to the other hotel, where we hung out for a few hours in the show. I was ready to take Gail back to the original hotel so she could get some work done, when I asked once more if they had any cancellations. They did, and we finally got a room at the hotel with the fish show. Not only that, but they gave us a complimentary breakfast for our troubles. At least it ended well. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: Aquapalooza Adventures

Post by mewickham »

So how about a recap of the show! Cool bettas? Interesting talks? Did you pick up anything at the auction? Did Michael buy all the ugly fish? :)
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Ugly fish? I'm shocked and offended!
Here is my list:
Betta pugnax
Betta picta
Anomalchromis thomasi "Guinea"
Nannacara taenia
Pachypanchax playfairi
Heterandria formosa
Characodon lateralis "Los Berros" thanks Gerald!
Peacock gudgeons
Cherry shrimp
Java fern
And a book by Martin Moe about breeding the Orchid Dottyback. Don't know if I'll read it but it looks brand new and nobody was bidding on it!
They don't count as my purchases but Johnathon picked up a female Cambodian betta and a nice red male.
If you look them up you will find that not all of them are ugly. :D
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

That wasn't the "adventure" part. I did pick up 2 pairs of Betta pugnax. Bid on a few others, but they went higher than I was willing to go. We had a really nice time even with the adventure. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

Sounds like you both had great fun. Watch those wild bettas. They are all wild jumpers. I lost more than I kept as I learned of their willingness to take the leap. Lots of dried bettas on the concrete floor for a while. I spawn those species and enjoyed the mouthbrooders a lot. Good luck. Jack
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

'No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

President of the International Betta Congress
Chair IBC-SMP
President of the OKAA (The real state Aquarium Association)
and BAP Chair OKAA
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Wow. Looks like it was a lot of work. There were some nice looking bettas in there. What kind of price range did the bettas sell for, especially the best in show specimens?
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
fishbit

Post by fishbit »

Most of the Bettas went for $3.00 or $4.00, but some of the winners were up to $27.00 !
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

The level of work was intense but most of it was mental. Last night was the longest I have slept in years.

I am still tired but it is what it is. I will pull up my list and see what the highest prices were but if it was from Sieg Illing it went high.

With that said Betta Shows are a lot of fun and we are talking about having one in Tulsa next.
'No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

President of the International Betta Congress
Chair IBC-SMP
President of the OKAA (The real state Aquarium Association)
and BAP Chair OKAA