tiny angelfish fry??

From angelfish to zebra cichlids
amandarollman

tiny angelfish fry??

Post by amandarollman »

I attempted to raise some of the fry from my angels and im thinking i had them in a tiny container (less then one gallon) for too long. I now have them in a 10 gallon and they arent growing. They are swimming and eating fine but no change in size since they were a month old (less them dime sized) Will they eventually grow or have i stunted their growth or something? Their parents have been spawning for years but i never take the fry out of the community tank so they never make it past free swimming, but this time i took a few out. They have been eating microworms and powdered fry food I bought at petsmart.

Thanks
Amanda
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Re: tiny angelfish fry??

Post by sskruzr »

Well, after a week I start feeding baby brine shrimp if not sooner. Do their bellies get full after feeding? How many babies we talking about? When I raise them, I feed 3 times a day, more on the weekends. A 25% water change weekly and a temp in the higher 70's.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Two things encourage fast growth:
1. Water changes. The more the better. You can change some every day, if you want.
2. Good food and frequent, small feedings. Feed lightly, several times a day to maximize growth. Feed only what will be consumed within a few minutes. The idea is to let the fish regularly nibble to keep bellies full.

You really need to move up to bigger foods. Microworms and powdered fry food are meant only for the first week. As Corey says, baby brine shrimp is the next step. Crumbled flakes work, too. Month-old fish should be able to take adult brine shrimp.

Have you run pH, ammonia, or nitrite tests on your water? In a tank crowded with babies-- especially if there is lots of uneaten food and limited water changes (not saying that's the case with your tank as I don't know), those readings can be out of whack and will stunt growth.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
amandarollman

Post by amandarollman »

I only have 3 babies left. I only took out 8. I didnt want to end up with alot since i dont have the room. I guess the food is probably the problem. I have only been feeding the worms and powder. I havent tried the brine shrimp before. Their bellies do get full and i have been feeding 2 times a day and water change once a day or everyother day. They are less then dime size and 2 months old.