Gold vs. Blue Rams

From angelfish to zebra cichlids
arbitrarynonsense

Gold vs. Blue Rams

Post by arbitrarynonsense »

We recently redid our tank completely and upgraded from a 30 gallon to a 55 gallon. Anyway, we purchased two Gold Rams and they are so friendly and great in our simple little community tank. My question is, are Blue Rams the same? We'd like another little punch of color and we LOVE our new Gold Rams. Before I ask someone to order the Blues for us I'd like to get some opinions.

Thanks!
55 Gallon:

1 - Kribensis
1 - Siamese Algae Eater
2 - Gold Ram
3 - Rummy Nose Tetra
3 - Lemon Tetra
3 - Zebra Danio
3 - Checkered Barb
3 - [i:,3lqo1oz]Hatchet Fish[/i]
dennysfishroom

Rams

Post by dennysfishroom »

Generally speaking, the rams all have a pretty mild temperament, at least for cichlids. I will have to say that I did pick out a blue ram male who had been in with feeder fish for some time. Don't know where he came from, but he was one of the meanest fish I ever had. Just goes to show that there is variation in every species, and that upbringing can have an effect on temperament. Go figure. Denny
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

Hey Denny still have that male? I'm looking for a boyfriend for this sweet looking babe I have.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
dennysfishroom

Ram

Post by dennysfishroom »

Sorry, no. That was several years ago. He finally did calm down enough to spawn with another female. Denny
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

I believe (and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong here) that Gold Rams are simply a color variation of the German Blue Rams and that if you breed them you will likely get some Blues from the mating.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

There are several varieties of "Ram" cichlid out there generally representing two species.

The true ram comes in several varieties and the "Bolivian" ram, a seperate species Microgeophagus altispinosa is only available in the original packaging.

The German Blue/Gold ram is actually not a wild type ram. It is the result of selective breeding for color and body shape. It is also considered hardier than the 'wild type' blue ram. Now there are long finned, albino and balloon rams on the market. The gold ram though is just a color variety. I don't know the details of the genetics, but I would imagine crossing a blue to a gold would result in the female throwing mostly blue rams.

Kevin