Angel Fish

From angelfish to zebra cichlids
Josey

Angel Fish

Post by Josey »

I plan on going to my LFS W.U.W. this weekend to buy some angels. I talked to Bobby this morning he says they have some of what I want in stock. I want some wild or wild looking angels. Does anybody have care tips for a first time angle owner?
“It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish.”

J. R. R. Tolkien
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Sskruzr breeds angels, he may have what you want, too. He certainly can answer any questions you may have.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

The silver veil angels Bobby has are ones I raise. If you have any questions on angels: shoot and I'll answer best I can.

WUW has some nice black veil angels in stock.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
Josey

Post by Josey »

I understand they require a lower ph softer water and a higher temp than normal fish. Is this correct? How much lower softer or higher do I need to be?
Is peat the best way to go? Are they aggressive like other cichlids? I really want to do a community planted tank with my 55g and I want angels to be a part of that.

J. R. R. Tolkien
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

Don't know where you saw or heard that, but no, I have them breeding in the water coming out of the tap(decloronized of coarse) and the temp is between 75 and 80
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
Josey

Post by Josey »

Thats great :D that makes my life much easier!!! Thanks!

You can read all you want but real life experience is so valuable.

J. R. R. Tolkien
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

My water is so hard and the ph is so high that I'm surprised the water doesn't come out in chunks and my angels are thriving. They are in a community tank, so if they have spawned, I didn't know it, but they are quite happy and healthy.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
Josey

Post by Josey »

Thanks so much you guys (and girls) really helped me!!!
At first I was excited but aprehensive about getting some angels. But now I am really looking forward to this weekend!

J. R. R. Tolkien
Josey

Post by Josey »

I have been having a Private Message dialog with Corey about my new Angels they have bred and laid a batch of eggs. I thought this information might be useful to other club members than myself. So here go my questions I'll try to limit them to a few at a time (I tend to be overly quizzical)

Do you think I should remove my gravel?

Is is safe to remove the gravel on a cycled tank?

What will my success (survival) rate be like if I don't have live food?

J. R. R. Tolkien
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Josey wrote: (I tend to be overly quizzical)

Do you think I should remove my gravel?

Is is safe to remove the gravel on a cycled tank?

What will my success (survival) rate be like if I don't have live food?
I have been accused of asking a few too many questions before too. I think you will find fish people love to answer questions about fish. Don't ask too much about our tax returns though 8)

Removing the gravel has the advantage of making it much easier to keep a very clean aquarium. Gravel has a tendency to hide debris. It is sort of like the difference between carpet and hardwood in a house. You may think that your carpet is clean, but if you look close enough you will find there is dust trapped in there. So, should you remove your gravel? No. Someone else may give you a different answer, but I think that the debris and the stuff that grows on the debris makes a good food source for the baby angelfish.

If you remove the gravel on a cycled tank then you are losing some of its ability to remove ammonia and nitrites from the water. In a way you are interrupting the 'cycle'. There may be a brief spike in both directly following the removal of the gravel. Most tanks have sufficient filtration other than their gravel to recover from the removal of gravel. I definitely wouldn't remove the gravel from a tank while I have fry in the tank.

That depends on what you subsitute for the live food. There are several prepared fry foods on the market. I don't think any are as good as freshly hatched brine shrimp. Which food you use will definitely effect how fast your baby angels will grow. Other people here can probably give you better advice about alternative baby foods though, and I will sit back and read it along with you.

Kevin <- Asks too many questions AND writes long posts.
Josey

Post by Josey »

You had to say tax returns :evil: mine didn't "return" so to speak

I was worried about the spike if I removed my gravel so I guess I'll be leaving that alone.

Thanks

J. R. R. Tolkien
Josey

Post by Josey »

It seems the parents didn't like this batch (most turned white) I came home one day and the where eating the eggs. So I've given the tank a thorough cleaning and did a water change last night.

J. R. R. Tolkien