Gonna dip my net into saltwater!

Marine Fish - Invertebrates - Reefs
pinkrblu

Gonna dip my net into saltwater!

Post by pinkrblu »

I have the opportunity to purchase a new in box 12g aquapod. I have been wanting to try SW for a while, but space and money has always stopped me. Well, the opportunity to purchase this tank presented itself and I was trying to decide about it. Mark, out of the blue, asked what it would take for me to get a saltwater nano tank. He didn't know I was looking at one, just knew I wanted one. So, anyway, if all goes as planned I will be picking it up the last week of the month.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

A 12 g salt, what do you plan on doing with it? Do you have any invert/fish ideas so far? I kept a 10 gallon for a while on the counter of the store it was quite fun.

Kevin
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Exotic Tropicals used to have one on their counter. I haven't gotten far enough to decide what I want, yet. I know I won't be able to support much in that size, but I also know I can make it interesting.
Suggestions, anyone?
~Kenna
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Ok, my advice is worth how much you are paying for it, so make sure and get a second opinion, but....

There are some very nice salt-water fish and invertebrates that are being captive bred right now. I would recommend a single pseudochromis for that tank. They come in a variety of colors and are very full of personality. You could easily a shrimp or two also. Then I would look at some of the hardier corals such as the star polyps.

Take it for what it is worth, but that is what I think.

Kevin <- Not a salt guy.

ps. Don't forget a cool piece of live rock.
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Recommended source of information???
I read on one site that you have to have the aquarium up and running for an entire year before adding any livestock.
I have a couple books that discuss saltwater, so I'll be reading them, but I know the vast array of information available for FW and the percentage that is bad advice and assume the same is true with SW.
~Kenna
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I imagine you will get some advice from here and do a search for reefcentral on the web. There is good information there.

I have always said that you won't be satisfied with any saltwater tank until you have had it for a year, but I think the advice to not add livestock for a year is farfetched.

There are a few articles and books out there on mini-reef aquariums. I don't know any titles off of the top of my head. I have a few books I will loan you on keeping saltwater, they are pretty solid.

Kevin
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

I know I've got Axelrod's Exotic Marine Fish and Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies, probably some others somewhere as well. I am having fun just thinking about it. Keeps me occupied between Algebra and Physics...
~Kenna
gm333

Post by gm333 »

You know you have all the help you will need here Kenna. If we cant figure it out I know lots of people who can.
The only problem I have with RC is you get so much conflicting info it gets very confusing. Unless you post in a club area.
I made a post in the general area of RC one time about dosing kalk, I ended up starting a war in which the thread got closed, none of it was from me even posting.
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Well, I got my nano yesterday. It is a 12g Aquapod, minus the lights. I am going to have to find something cheap that will provide enough light until I can afford the Sunpaq that is made to fit the tank. Any suggestions? The tank top is about 16.5" wide. The tank is brand new with the integrated filter intact, pump and all media included. Glass top is there, but no light. :(

So now, I need to get a heater and lights, salt, etc....then time for the fun to begin. I found live sand at an lps in Springfield. They had several types with an average price of $35/20lb bag.
~Kenna
gm333

Post by gm333 »

The light was not here at all? That stinks, but it can be dealt with. I will ask around the other forums around my area and some friend to see if we cant come up with a light and hood for ya. Most people take the hoods off so they can utilize metal halides anyhow, so there has to some flowing around out there somewhere.
'Its only fun if you make it fun! http://fishnutgm333.bravehost.com/'
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Yeah. Turns out he had purchased a 24, used it for a while. It broke and he finally got the company to send him a replacement. They sent a 12 with out the lid/light. He still has the top for the 24. He's got it listed on Craigslist for $45. If I knew more about what I was doing I could probably tear it down and build a light for new one. Sigh...I know that SW is not going to be cheap, but I wasn't planning on having to drop money on a light immediately.
~Kenna
Bobby@W.U.W

Post by Bobby@W.U.W »

pinkrblu wrote:Well, I got my nano yesterday. It is a 12g Aquapod, minus the lights. I am going to have to find something cheap that will provide enough light until I can afford the Sunpaq that is made to fit the tank. Any suggestions? The tank top is about 16.5" wide. The tank is brand new with the integrated filter intact, pump and all media included. Glass top is there, but no light. :(

So now, I need to get a heater and lights, salt, etc....then time for the fun to begin. I found live sand at an lps in Springfield. They had several types with an average price of $35/20lb bag.

I set up tanks all the time using dry sand and never have a problem and its cheaper.

IMO

there are many ways to start up a tank and probably the best is to do it a little at a time. start out with aragonite sand saltwater and some base rock. add a few pounds of live rock to the system to get it seeded. I hope you have good eyes because its fun to watch all the little organisms that crawl out of the rock. For a 12 gallon I would recommend 5lb base rock and 12lb live rock. You can do this with out a light but not without current. So get a powerhead It helps the process take less time. the sandbed needs to be 2-4 inches deep “I like 3 inches.”
Skimmers are few and far between for nano tanks but if you can try to squeeze one in.
Test Ammonia for a few days. If you have a light It would be ok to put corrals in before the ammonia goes away. They will be fine. Buy some B-ionic 2 part ca/alk and dose 5ml per day. feed very little to no food at all ever. Look for little crustations that scurry around on the rock and in the sand that will be a food source for your tank. If you have your light by this point you will need to add your clean up crew. Snails and red legged crabs will be great. If you are going reef it also would be a good idea to add some peppermint shrimp but no more than 1 or 3. That would be a very good start IMO.
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

In the dark and quiet of our room last night, Mark quietly suggested that maybe I might want to make one of the larger tanks I have sitting around into a SW tank. I've got an empty 20L, a 29 and at least two 10's just sitting...This morning he tried to tell me that I was so sleepy that I probably didn't remember things quite right... So, anyway, I may just use the 12g aquapod for something else and use the 29.
Gary- I am thinking maybe I may use the thread on diy refugiums on FTF to make one with the 10g.
~Kenna
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I would use the 20L, great gallon to surface area ratio. It won't be too hard to find lights for it.

Kevin
gm333

Post by gm333 »

I agree with the 20 long as a reef tank. Especially with a 10 gallon fuge.
You can follow all directions I made on FTF of mine. If Mark is handy with a saw and some simple wiring you can add a hood with diy t-5's. I ended up making my nano for around 300.00 for all.
'Its only fun if you make it fun! http://fishnutgm333.bravehost.com/'