Fin Rot

Diagnosis and treatment
Josey

Fin Rot

Post by Josey »

I have a long fin rosy barb that I found fin rot on this morning.

I turned the temp up about a degree added some aquarium salt and treated with melafix.

Is there anything else to do? I really hate losing fish I'm kinda soft about the whole life death thing.

Sundance - I won't be using a hammer sorry.
“It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish.”

J. R. R. Tolkien
Josey

Post by Josey »

I guess I won't be getting any angels this weekend. Not while I have sick fish :(

J. R. R. Tolkien
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I think you are doing what you can for fin rot at the moment.

Fin rot is usually a secondary infection after some fin nipping has occured. Since you are keeping barbs it is no surprise that you have some fin nipping occurring.

Keep an eye on the one with the fin rot and make sure the nipping isn't still occurring. If it is you may want to either add more barbs of the culprit species or remove the culprit depending on your tank situation.

Kevin
Josey

Post by Josey »

Thanks for the husbandry tip! I had been wondering if I had more barbs if the nipping would be less. I only have the two. I am still pretty new to aquariums I have been keeping fish for about 5 years so I don't have experience with lots of different species yet.

J. R. R. Tolkien
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Although it sounds counterintuitive, it frequently does decrease the negative behavior when you add more of the "bad" fish. This is because they spend more time paying attention to their type and less bothering the other species.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.