Sump help

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
krimson

Sump help

Post by krimson »

I have a 20 gallon sump filter on my 125 but im having a hard time keeping a constant level in it. any sugestions?
Knowlage is the name we give our mistakes....Albert Einstine
Jackielee

Re: Sump help

Post by Jackielee »

Too much water in the sump or not enough water in the sump?

You may need to adjust the return rate of your pump. If too little water is in the sump then you might need a valve in the line to adjust that flow or if there is too much water in the sump you might need a higher volume pump to increase the flow. If the water level is inconsistent, make sure the overflows are open and flowing consistently.

Does your overflow water go through directly through bulkheads into the lines or into an internal overflow box or device? Flow can be adjusted with the diameter of the lines that run to and from the sump too to some extent.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

It's not possible to keep a constant level in a sump without adding a float valve that feeds top-off water-- either from another container (whose water level will fall instead) or directly from a city water line. That's one of the purposes of a sump. The water level falls in the sump, instead of in the tank where you can see it. It is normal to have to top-off a sump regularly-- sometimes daily.

But, perhaps, you haven't set up your sump correctly. Here are the steps.
  1. Turn off the pump and let the water level settle until none is dripping into the overflow. The water level in your tank should now be just at the top of the overflow.
  2. Fill the sump to about 1" from the top.
  3. Turn on the pump. Some water will be drawn from the sump and pumped into the tank. The water level in the tank will rise slightly and the level in the sump will drop a bit (perhaps significantly). The amount will vary according to the size of tank in relation to the size of sump, and flow rate of pump.
  4. Give a couple of minutes for things to stabilize.
  5. Now, draw a line on your sump with a felt-tipped pen at the current water level (the water level after it has dropped after turning on the pump). Mark this line as "Maximum fill level."
  6. You will have to regularly top off your sump with water to replace evaporation. Never fill the sump higher than this line while the pump is running. This will ensure that your sump never overflows with backwash when power goes off.
You might also want to draw a line on the sump, just above the top of the pump (if submerged pump), or about an inch above the intake (if external pump), and mark this "Minimum fill level." Never let the water level in the sump drop below this point while the pump is running, or the pump may run dry and burn out.

Also, if you ever adjust the height of the overflow, you will need to repeat these steps and possibly redraw the lines.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
krimson

Post by krimson »

thanks for the input, this is the first atempt at a sump system. i bought this tank set up used and the canister filter we bought with it was shot....thanks craigslist bandits. any way i dont have a overflow set up having a hard time finding a overflow that would work for my needs. as for the rest i have 2 valves on the syphon and discharge 1 as a baffel (needle) and the other as a kill (ball). Can any one recomend a diy overflow, ive wasted as much time on youtube as i can stand looking....thanks again
Knowlage is the name we give our mistakes....Albert Einstine
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

You can check for a used one from the guys on In2Deep.org or search Ebay and Aquabid.com.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Did I read that right? You were trying to operate a sump using a siphon, instead of an overflow? That will never work. It's pretty much 100% guaranteed to cause a flood, burn out a pump, or both.

I'm assuming that this is not a tank drilled for a standpipe, and that you will need a hang-on-the-tank overflow box. Any brand of overflow box should be fine. So just look for a cheap one. You may need a valve on the output side of the pump to make sure it isn't so powerful as to overwhelm the overflow piping and cause a flood. (Always put the valve on the output side of the pump. Putting it on the input side can damage the pump.)

For hang-on-the-back overflows, there is a slotted box that fits inside the aquarium and a solid box that hangs outside, connected by siphon tube. Check the top of the siphon tube regularly to be sure that air bubbles haven't collected and built up to the point that water can no longer flow.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair