Too Many Jack Dempseys

Come here just to talk about everyday life and other non-aquarium topics.
dennysfishroom

Too Many Jack Dempseys

Post by dennysfishroom »

I've got way too many Jack Dempseys, so have been thinking of ways to reduce the number of tanks they occupy. Has anyone actually filleted any of our tropical fish? The ones I've got in my turtle tank are probably big enough to consider doing this. Since this is one of the goals of aquaponics, it might make perfect sense to fillet them, and have a fish fry. Any comments or suggestions? Anyone interested in a club fish fry? Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
snakeskinner

Re: Too Many Jack Dempseys

Post by snakeskinner »

from what I hear (who knows if it holds any truth) the chemicals we use to treat water, medication, etc. make our fish not safe for human consumption. I don't know anyone who has tried it.. Kyle
Okarche, OK
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Since I'm on a well and don't use any treatments, I'll probably be okay that way. I'm assuming they would be similar to bass in taste. I could also use an ultalight rod and reel for added excitement. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

:lol: go get you a kiddie pole. spiderman, batman something like that. that way they really feel like whoppers :) Kyle
Okarche, OK
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

I have faced this many times with other types of SA/CA cichlids. It is killin time. It is hard to do and sounds harsh but if there is no market for them what else can you do? We sometimes are too successful raising fry and it just happens. I am about to be there with my Flowerhorns, which cichlid purist would be happy to hear, but I have a dozen adult fish that no one seems to want and I am not going to give them to a pet store to starve to death so eventually this fall I will kill them myself. Fertilizer for the garden, snacks for the wildlife in the woods. Jack
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Some options for dealing with an overabundance of fish:

1. Club auctions

2. Pet stores: Some will buy or trade fish. If not, offer to donate. Better to give extra fish away than be stuck with them. Since the cost is $0, dealers can afford to sell them cheap to move them, or keep them a while until they do. This also encourages them to take on a larger quantity than they usually would!

3. Wholesalers: You may not know of any wholesalers, but your local shops do. Most stores order from regional wholesalers that deliver to their door. Wholesalers are often interested in cheap or free fish-- especially since the stuff being bred by clubs is commonly not sold in stores. Anyway, your local store might be willing to call its wholesaler to see if they are interested. The fish can then be picked up next time the wholesaler delivers to the store. If the wholesaler is willing to pay-- let them suggest a price-- offer your dealer a cut for his trouble. If a donation, thank him for helping you find homes for the fish and buy something in his store.

4. Craig's List ad: free to good home?

5. Public aquariums: Almost never interested, but it depends on what you've got. If nothing else, they might be happy to get some healthy feeder fish that haven't gone through the wholesale chain, where they could be exposed to disease.

6. Filet 'em and eat 'em. Some species are large enough to eat and delicious.

7. Euthanasia: Not fun to do, but sometimes necessary. If raising aquarium strains of fishes, one should be culling and euthanizing substandard fishes as a normal course.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

6. Taxidermy. you could always have your fish mounted and then decorate your house with them :)
Okarche, OK