Installing the new sump

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
dennysfishroom

Installing the new sump

Post by dennysfishroom »

I'm working to replace my old sumps with new and bigger sumps. I had completed 2 of them and was working on the 3rd one. I was in the process of drilling the 2 holes in the sump ( different diameters. After I got them both drilled, I realized I had drilled one too big for the fitting I had. I drilled another hole the correct size, but I still had to close the incorrect hole. After thinking about it for awhile, I decided to fill 2 milk jug caps with silicone rubber, and place one on the inside and one on the outside. Hopefully, that will act as a water-tight plug on the sump. I'll find out tomorrow. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: Installing the new sump

Post by mewickham »

Success probably depends on whether or not silicone rubber sticks to whatever material the sump is made from. As I recall, silicone won't stick to certain plastics, and that may include the milk caps. You might be able to use a couple of large, metal washers (with small holes) bolted together with silicone rubber in between. Maybe not tighten the bolt all the way at first, and tighten it more after the silicone dries.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

The plastic caps are just to hold the silicone in place. My intention was to build a grommet with the silicone. We'll see. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I think I've got the third system up and running. Not sure because I've got to run it until I run out of water in the sump, turn it off, and then when it's full again start all over again. I'll have to continue until all the tanks are refilled, and then I'll know. I think I can also connect this system to the one next to it, and eliminate one pump. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Now working on the fourth sump, and it's not going well. I can't get the supply line for the float to stop leaking (big time). It worked on the sump I'm replacing, but not on the new one. It sounds like there is a fitting which may correct it, but it wasn't available or in stock. I'm going to have to take a bag full of pieces into the hardware store, and tell them to get me what I need for the connection next time I'm in town. Don't know why this seems to happen to me everytime I start a project like this. Denny
fishbit

Post by fishbit »

Nothing like plumbing a system. I make a list, go get the fittings I need, but always seem to come up missing something.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Well, it looks like I may have found a solution to my problem. I took in a whole bag of fittings to Lowe's, and told them that I needed to go from here to there, and this is what I had to work with. They fooled around with the present configuration for a few minutes, then the light went on for him. He said we could eliminate several fittings in the middle, and just use one fitting to accomplish what I needed to do. I tried it as soon as I got home, but it was still leaking, although not as much. I started fooling around with the tubing and fitting, and suddenly it seated about 1/4 inch more, and it looks like it may have solved the problem. I'll keep an eye on it through tomorrow to see if I'm home free. Denny
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

Good deal! I had a guy help me like that once at a Lowes and it helped a lot. I did not know what a union was. I knew what I wanted to do but did not have a name for the piece. Made my life a lot easier on a pond plumbing situation.