February 2014: Some Common Fishes of NW Arkansas

Program Schedule - Dates - Location - Maps and Directions
mewickham
NWAAS President

February 2014: Some Common Fishes of NW Arkansas

Post by mewickham »

Dr. Brown is coming up from the University of Arkansas to talk to us about local fishes, including their range, abundance, and suitability for aquariums. He will also tell us about his work with local blind cave fish (which are not legal for aquariums). Here is Dr. Brown's bio:

"My primary research focuses on observational and experimental evaluation of the structure and functioning of stream ecosystems with an emphasis on those of distinct riffle and pool geomorphology. The impact of riffle and pool structure characteristic of alluvial gravel bed streams on community dynamics is of particular interest. One research objective is to develop and refine a reach level model for stream ecosystems. Grants from NSF, EPA, USFS, and other agencies have enabled my students and I to accumulate information regarding trophic dynamics, drift, detritus processing, organic carbon dynamics, distribution, migration, and production of biota (primarily invertebrates and fish) in Ozark and Ouachita Mountain streams. The significance of meiofauna in gravel bed streams is a major area of interest for us. Water quality and cave (stream) ecology constitute additional significant areas of interest, especially as they relate to preservation of endangered species. Our research has led to listing the Ozark cavefish, Amblyopsis rosae, as "threatened" and a cave crayfish (Cambarus aculabrum) as "endangered." Currently, grants from the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission and the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission support our cave research."
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: February 2014: Some Common Fishes of NW Arkansas

Post by mewickham »

I really enjoyed Dr. Brown's talk and we had a great turnout for it. He spoke quite a bit on the Ozark cavefish as well as cave crayfish and several native species that we commonly see on our collecting trips to local streams. If you didn't attend, you missed out big time!

Next month, Denny Rogers will speak on West African cichlids.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair