Using My Tablet

Come here just to talk about everyday life and other non-aquarium topics.
dennysfishroom

Using My Tablet

Post by dennysfishroom »

When I originally got my tablet, I had in the back of my mind that one of the uses for it would be to have it for presentations. I didn't realize how convoluted accomplishing that might be. I first had to find some presentation software that would accept Power Point presentations. Then I had to figure out what cables I needed to get the presentations to a TV or digital projector. Finally, I had to get my presentations loaded to my tablet. That was no easy task since I didn't have any USB ports or CD players in the tablet. My son got me set up with DropBox, so that solved the download problem. The only thing left is that I haven't figured out whether I can do the presentations with the slides on the screen, and my notes on the tablet. I can find my notes, but so far not when I'm running the presentation. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: Using My Tablet

Post by mewickham »

Be sure to also bring your presentation on a thumb-drive or CD, in case something goes wrong with your tablet setup. I'll bring my laptop as a backup.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I was planning on using a computer. At least that's assuming we can show my notes on the computer while just showing the presentation slide on the screen. Denny

PS - don't forget to come to the meeting Saturday.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Denny, PowerPoint lets you see your notes on the laptop only and only the presentation on the projector. I think OpenOffice might, too. I can help you set it up. Depending on your computer, we may need to install the projector driver software, so that the image displays at the correct ratio. We have the CD for this with the projector. You might want to check ahead of time to see if your laptop display has the option of a screen resolution of 1280x800. If so, it will work without installing the projector driver. If not, we'll have to pop in the CD first. No biggie.

I doubt you'll be able to display notes on a tablet and the presentation separately on the projector, unless you have one of the full-blown Windows tablets that lets you load PowerPoint or other software capable of doing so. Perhaps OpenOffice has an Android version.

By the way, since you mostly prepare talks for display on the NWAAS projector, you might want to prepare future talks at 1280x800 resolution or at a 16:10 pixel ratio to get a perfect screen fit every time. Other resolutions and ratios will display, of course, but with black boxes at top/bottom or right/left.
Mike Wickham
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Actually, I was planning on using your laptop like always. Denny
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Not a problem. I'll have my laptop there.
Mike Wickham