Tub set-up

Outdoor fishkeeping!
dennysfishroom

Tub set-up

Post by dennysfishroom »

I've been stalling for over a year because I wasn't sure exactly how I wanted to set up my tubs, but I finally got started this past weekend. I've had a couple 100 gallon RuberMaid tubs for quite awhile, but after the goldfish died last year (no aeration - just a static tub), I've been trying to decide exactly how to set up, and the tubs were just laying around empty. I finally decided to go with 3 tubs and a sump just off my lower deck. I got everything relatively level (this is were the land goes steeply down) and in position. By the way, TSC has 110 gallon containers for around $50 right now. I'm still trying to finalize the pumping and return lines, but should be done by the end of the week. I'll try to post pictures when I'm done if I can work around my USB problems. Hopefully, I'm going to get some really nice goldfish to put in the tubs. Denny
dennysfishroom

Re: Tub set-up

Post by dennysfishroom »

Since I have been thinking about the tubs for so long, I decided to add another one to my setup. I saw an ad for the 300 gallon Rubbermaid, and decided to incorporate that into my plans. I don't know what I'd do without TSC. They really have a lot of neat stuff. I had a small swimming pool next to the deck, but didn't have any water movement. I can use the 300 in that spot, and it will allow me to plumb it into the system. I'll probably just use the pool for spawning. So far I've been able to use all the extra PVC fittings I had around, but I'm to the point where I will have to get a few pieces. The old Tom Sawyer trick worked. Thanks Brent. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

And let there be flowing water. I've got 3 of the 4 tubs with running water this afternoon. I'm going to have to raise the 300 gallon tub up about 6 inches before I can get it high enough to flow into the system. That will probably happen sometime next week, and I do need a few fitting to make everything work. I took everything Lowes had, but am short a few elbows and some pieces of PVC pipe. I really did make a dent in the fittings I had around though. I've got some pictures, but will take some more now that the water is flowing. I think I may already have some salamanders spawning in my commercial biowheel. Hopefully, that means everything is working as it should. Denny
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Salamanders would be cool, but not too many! I have so many tree frog tadpoles in my one pool that they are fouling the water. I'm removing them as much as possible but I've probably taken out at least 1000 and it doesn't seem like they end.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I guess the eyes are going. I thought something was in the filter in the sump (salamander), but couldn't tell for sure because it was right in the water flow. Turns out it was a lizard who apparently didn't know how to swim. The tree frogs seem to be aware of the tubs, but so far don't seem to have spawned (they are really vocal in the evening, though). Maybe it's the moving water, or maybe I just haven't noticed anything. I did put my 3 goldfish from inside into the tubs today to make sure that it's not toxic. With all the crud on the tubs from just being outside in the rain, I'm hoping I don't need to wait a month for them to cycle. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Never did get around to posting any pictures of the ponds, and now it's almost time to take the fish out for the winter. At least now I can begin to see what's in them. I haven't made any progress on the side hill pond as you'll see on Saturday, but at least it's cooler now if I get the energy. See you all Saturday. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

How many shovels do you have? Make some of the guys help you dig on Saturday!
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

They'd have to be pretty bored. It's nasty digging in the ground around here, too. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!