HAAS club meeting

For discussion of upcoming events in NWA and beyond. Auction rules and registration forms can also be found here.
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

HAAS club meeting

Post by sskruzr »

We need some notes from Kevin's talk at HAAS Saturday meeting. How'd it go? Did you hit any shops? What kind of fish did everyone pick up from the Cichlid Exchange order? Did you get to see anyone's fishroom? I think we need a field trip to KC to visit shops and especially Jack's discus.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
etheonut

Re: HAAS club meeting

Post by etheonut »

Well, where to start....

Michael, Jonathan and Me met in Neosho and drove up to Mike's place. We got to see Mike's fish room which was pretty darn impressive. He has a wonderful collection of both west African and Central American cichlids. He also has a variety of cory cats. All in all a very nice fish room. We went from there to Rick's fish room. It is in their basement and had a wide variety of fishes. He has a very comfortable fish room. Rick gave me a bag full of albino kribensis, and offered both of us a sample of his beautiful guppies. He is keeping them outside in stock tanks right now. You all would have been amazed at the colors he is getting by putting those guys out side. We traveled across town and ate some BBQ with a group of HAAS members. The BBQ was good, the conversation and fellowship was great. I also got to meet Michael's folks as they stopped by to take Jonathan for the afternoon. They are some nice people. We went from there to the meeting where some nerd showed blurry pictures of drab fish and rambled on about something. Honestly, I used that time to catch up on my sleep. From there we went to Dr. Steve's fish room. I tried to do the self guided tour, but gave up. I asked Steve for the twenty five cent tour and was rewarded with the $1.50 tour. I couldn't even begin to list all the fish I got to see there. The most notable fish was a very rare species of Chromide from India. Those guys were AMAZING! I didn't even know they existed before seeing them in Steve's tanks. I got a bag of P. nicholsi from Steve. I have been wanting to try my hand at that fish for a long time now. We left there and headed back to Mike's place where they divided up the Cichlid Exchange list. I spent the time chasing Silver Dollars around a tank and making a general mess. Mike gifted me with some Chromatilipia guntheri and we headed home. We didn't make any visits to any shops, but I sure didn't mind. It was great to see the fish rooms of so many local people that I respect in this hobby. I got home about midnight. I imagine Michael probably a little later.

Kevin
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

I assume the nerd was YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

I'll only add my CE haul: 10 Sabwa resplendens- the rummynose rasbora
12 Nannobrycon eques brown tail pencilfish
12 Corydoras pygmaeus
12 Aplocheilicthys (sp?) normani- lameye killies
I also got 6 Cory aeneus from Mike and 6 Thorachromis brauschi from Dr. Steve.
With the 8 balzanii I got from Corey that's 7 new species in a week. It's almost like I made it to the auction!
Michael
fishbait

Post by fishbait »

I just wanted to say thanks to Kevin and Mike for making the trip. I was one of the lucky people who got to do all the tours with them. By the way, I wouldve taken a nap but some jerk was yelling into the microphone in a library. hehehe. Again great presentation. Wouldve loved to see the whole presentation in realtime instead of doubletime. Thanks to KcMikey and myself the guys got started late.
Steve Irwin died the way he lived.....with fish in his heart.