October Swap Meet and Open House

For discussion of upcoming events in NWA and beyond. Auction rules and registration forms can also be found here.
Herpchat

Re: October Swap Meet and Open House

Post by Herpchat »

'No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

President of the International Betta Congress
Chair IBC-SMP
President of the OKAA (The real state Aquarium Association)
and BAP Chair OKAA
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Good news, I should be there for the full deal. My plans that were going to interfered have been cancelled.

I do have fish to distribute from the trip that people requested including wild killifish and sailfin mollies.

Kevin
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I did have a call from a lady looking to downsize to a 30 gallon or hex. Susan from Oklahoma was going to bring some tanks, but she has to work. If anyone else has a suitable tank, you may want to bring it. Still don't know what kind of turnout we'll have, but it's starting to look like it won't be just Kenna, Gail and I. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

So any petshops or anything of the sort we can hit while we are up there?

Chair IBC-SMP
and BAP Chair OKAA
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

There are 3 shops in this general area. Worlds Under Water at 2105 Creek View in Johnson (between Fayetteville and Springdale), Exotic Tropicals at 115 N. Dixieland in Rogers and Saltwater Depot at 1400 SW Susana St # 16 in Bentonville. These are all LFS's and each has their own unique types of fish. There are 2 craft fair kinds of things going on in Rogers this weekend if that's of any interest to you. One at the Hammond Center across i-540 from the Pinnacle mall and another at the Frisco Mall on Walnut/Dixieland. See you this afternoon. Denny 479-359-0088
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Just in case any of you check this before leaving for the swap meet, Slate gap Rd. has been closed since early this morning due to an accident just above our driveway. Hopefully, it will be open by 2pm, but if you can't talk your way into our driveway, you can park on 127 and walk the 100 yards to our driveway. We'll still be here. Denny
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

And a good time was had by all. Thanks again to Denny and Gail for having us all over. I don't know how much trading and swapping of goods happened, but we sure shared some nice stories.

Kevin
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

We were happy to have everyone, even when it didn't look like we'd be able to get to our house because of the wreck on Slate Gap. We should probably discuss the swap meet at our next meeting to find out whether we may want to try another one later. Some things worked and some didn't, and if we're going try again, we should probably try at a more central location. We can discuss what your observations are in November. Denny
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

We had fun, too. We drove through Roaring River on the way home and watched a fireside ranger presentation about Ozark witches and other spooky lore. Lots of fun!
Thanks, Gail and Denny for being such gracious hosts and not strangling me for bringing Mattie and Hannah!
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

I would like to thank Denny and his gracious wife for having us all out to his place tonight. I enjoyed it and the people. I would have liked to have talked more but I had an engagement to get to. As it ended up I was home 15 min before I had to head back out again.

I would also like to thank Denny for the pleco females but of course when I got home I discovered I did not need them as my questionable female was no doubt a female and I had about a score of baby bushynoses swimming around the tank and I had also discovered that one of my hermaphroditic crayfish was in the same tank and was full size. It is a good thing they are totally fish friendly. So I put Denny's bushynose in with another group I was raising up that I had obtained from Adam of HAAS.

After I got home from my GFs party I discovered that my peacock gudgeons had hatched. I had been trying to find peacock gudgeons for quite a while but since they are $10 each I did not want to buy 6-8 to get a pair so I scoured store after store trying to find a sexable male. I found one in I think it was Pet land in Lawrence Kansas when I was up there and I bought it. I also remembered I had seen a sexable female at Premier Aquatics in Tulsa so upon my return to Tulsa I went in and bought it and as soon as I put the two together they went nuts, I had never seen so much displaying. Well it all paid off as I found fry tonight.

This morning I have a lot of moving around to make the perfect enclosures for the mummichogs and the banded killifish. Thanks Kevin. Apparently breeding the mummichogs should not be that big a problem so we shall see.

More later.

Chair IBC-SMP
and BAP Chair OKAA
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Here is a link to the news story about the wreck Saturday. Our prayers go out to the family of Mr. Harvey.

http://www.nwarktimes.com/adg/national/240684/
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Thanks, Kenna. We didn't see it in our paper today. That being said, I guess we had ties to both as we heard about both in church today. Small world, I guess. Denny
Renegade545

Post by Renegade545 »

Thanks to Denny for hosting the swap meet, your fishroom was great.

I had a lot of fun talking with everyone and looking at denny's fish, as well as taking pictures. It was great meeting every, and i hope to see some, if not all of you again sometime.
Mack Emmons

HiroPro

Post by HiroPro »

Thanks Denny for hosting. I had a good time and enjoyed seeing your fishroom.
I look forward to having another one.
Ryan