Florida Collecting

Fish from Arkansas and the USA
etheonut

Florida Collecting

Post by etheonut »

I am going to be in the Jacksonville, Florida area in mid October. I will have my collecting net with me and the capability of bringing some fish back. If any of you have ever been interested in keeping pygmy sunfish or any of the other natives from the southeast speak up now. I will be charging a nominal (very small) fee for bringing fish back to help cover the cost of the rental car. Don't worry the fee won't look anything like the fee you might pay to have stuff shipped in from other sources.

Kevin
Herpchat

Re: Florida Collecting

Post by Herpchat »

Pygmy Sunfish, Blue Finned Killies, Actually probably any wild killifish.
'No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

President of the International Betta Congress
Chair IBC-SMP
President of the OKAA (The real state Aquarium Association)
and BAP Chair OKAA
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I leave tomorrow for Florida. This is the final chance for anyone to request critters from Florida.
I will bring a few fish to the November meeting from Florida, depending on my luck.

Kevin
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

How about some wild mollies?
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I will see what I can find.

Kevin
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

So Far:

I have been attacked by a swarm of biting flies, but I caught some brackish water killies. I released them because the water they were in was so bad and there was so little of it I didn't want to try to collect any of it. Hopefully I will see more.

I have moved one common snapping turtle across a road. Florida drivers were very polite. They waited for me and then honked and smiled.

I did collect many gambusia, common form non-melanstic. I released them. I collected one Warmouth which was actually a life list species for me, if my memory serves me. I collected one female H. formosa. I am bringing her back to start a colony. I also collected a half dozen crayfish of the 'swamp' variety with the small claws. They looked sort of blue coming out of the water.

The hotel I am staying at has Anoles climbing on the outside walls. I hope they don't kick me out when I try to catch some later tonight.

Going collecting again tonight, more inland so I should see more of what people are looking for.

Kevin
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Sounds like you are having a perfect working vacation. Hope you're taking lots of pictures!
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I don't have my camera with me. It was just one more thing to carry on the jet.

Today I had a great day of collecting after the conference.
I collected Sailfin Mollies, Pygmy Sunfish (species to be determined and sex for that matter), Golden Topminnow (just a single), more Het. formosa and for my life list an exotic catfish species (Haps).

I bagged up my single Het. formosa from last night. Now I have 5 Het. formosa in the bag. Do I get to count those guys in for BAP :lol: .

Kevin
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Mmmm...I think we went over this last time. Six, dear...not five.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

hehehe, good point. Maybe I will have 6 babies by the time I get them home.

Kevin