T5 Trouble

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
pinkrblu

T5 Trouble

Post by pinkrblu »

I've got a two year old Current Nova Extreme T5 light. Used only on a freshwater tank, bulbs never changed. Over the last couple months, the bulbs started to flicker and finally stopped working (not all at once). I finally got around to getting new bulbs, but decided to only get one now while I was in Joplin and buy the rest from someone I liked. I put the new bulb in and it didn't work. I switched it from spot to spot, but it still didn't work. I took it back and they tried it in a light fixture there and it worked. The guy there said I should play with it and if it didn't work I would need a new light fixture. I asked about ballasts and he said they don't make them for T5s. (Oh, really? So how do the lights work?) I took the back home and did finally get it to work, but it was strobing. I checked the Current website and it says that replacement ballasts are available, but you have to get them from your dealer. Any idea what type of cost I would be looking at? Anyone have any experience or suggestions here?
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
etheonut

Re: T5 Trouble

Post by etheonut »

I have replaced a couple ballasts on PC units. I found one of them online and one of them at Lowes. Searching either may be the way to go for finding one. I have found that stores, chain and local, carry less and less parts to repair the equipment that they sell. I believe this a direct result of the manufacturers changing their product on yearly basis so that the parts to repair them change as often. Most stores don't have enough room or capital to keep parts in stock.

Kevin
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

The guy at Petsmart in Joplin just flat told me that they don't make replacement parts. Period. No way to fix it. "But you could just buy this fixture...Isn't it nice?"
~Kenna
HiroPro

Post by HiroPro »

I've replaced several T8 ballasts before. I'd look at the ballast and check the specs on it then look for one online.
Ryan
gm333

Post by gm333 »

Did you ever get the ballast thing figured out Kenna?
'Its only fun if you make it fun! http://fishnutgm333.bravehost.com/'
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

No. I'm light ignorant and am using a work light with a 75 watt bulb and a metal reflector. Poor plants don't have a chance. I'm hoping for a solution soon since I can't put the top on my 75 with the light I'm using now.
~Kenna
gm333

Post by gm333 »

I will keep an eye out at my lfs and see if they have a junk one in the back with a good ballast. What size bulbs are on the fixture again?
'Its only fun if you make it fun! http://fishnutgm333.bravehost.com/'