Spring Auction?

For discussion of upcoming events in NWA and beyond. Auction rules and registration forms can also be found here.
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Spring Auction?

Post by sskruzr »

Some of us have been kicking around putting on our first auction.
I'm looking for input from fellow members as to what we need to get this accomplished.
I recently attended the HAAS auction and tried to pay more attention to the mechanics of the auction.
Here's a list of what I think we need:

a date
a location
laminated bidder cards
seller forms(coming)
bookkeeping option for tracking sales
items sold forms(coming)
clipboeards
buyer forms(coming)

The "coming" items are being sent to me by HAAS member Mike Meyers.

I was thinking some time in February for a date, I believe HAAS will have their next one in March

And I'm not sure if the Police Station would allow us to have an auction there.
Granted it probably won't be large since it's our first.

I'm hoping to get some fish donated from some of the HAAS members and see if we can't get some of their members to attend.

I'm hoping to get this ironed out some time in December.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
HiroPro

Re: Spring Auction?

Post by HiroPro »

Sounds good to me. I enjoyed the mini-auction we had at the last meeting.
Ryan
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

I think the first thing we need to do is find a location. I don't think the police station is a good location because of the space available. Maybe a church or some sort of conference room?
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Corey,
While I like the idea of looking toward an auction, Even clubs that are used to having auctions can't put one together from scratch in a month for a date 3 months out. If we do it we do it right and having done MANY auctions with HAAS I will tell you that we can not do an auction in February and do it well.
Realistically if we want to try an auction that's larger than the ones at the meeting we need to look at next fall, MAYBE late spring at the earliest and start planning NOW. HAAS has many contacts to work with which we don't have yet and yet in the days where we didn't plan several months ahead we often had poorly attended auctions.
Simply put, great idea, but let's have the patience to do it right.
Michael
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

Then where do we start? I'd like to get the ball rolling. Got a list of things we need accomplished prior to setting a date?
Corey Mohrhauser
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

1. The big one is location. Though I doubt our first auction will be that large we need to be prepared for at least a decent turnout which means no police station. Location can be a far more difficult problem than most people imagine. So many places charge a large amount of money that it becomes unreasonable. Churches or the Jones Center will be a good place to start.
2. Networking is the second major task. If we do an auction we will want corporate donations which means I've got to start bugging Mike Meyer again for contact info. I know a few, but he has MANY.
We will also need other sellers. We just don't have enough breeding going on for an auction. That means contacting local people that we know of as well as folks from Oklahoma and Kansas City to try and get them to come.
3. We will need to have an auction committee (Corey is the chair if everyone agrees) to decide on our rules. These can be borrowed directly from other clubs or tailored to fit our needs.
4. Maybe this should be first, but we need to make sure everyone is on board. Auctions require a lot of work. Maybe 20% of HAAS members actually help with an auction. We will need a much higher percentage to make it work.
5. Publicity. This can come closer to auction time, but it's a good idea to start early and then have reminders closer to the auction date.
That's a good start. Now comes the legwork.
Michael
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

I'll check out the Bella Vista centers and see how much and locations Monday.

I can get advertising in the Morning News for free and we'll probably need flyers put up at different locations. It's probably not a good idea to ask the lfs cause it's actually taking away business from them
Corey Mohrhauser
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Some stores will, some won't. What can help is if you solicit them for a few donations for the auction and then every time one of their donations comes up you put in a plug for the store.
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

I do know that when I went to the KC auction, just about everyone from NWAAS was helping out in one way or another. There are a lot of considerations, as Michael says. Planning well will make it work.
~Kenna
fishbait

Post by fishbait »

Corey and Micheal, let us ,up north, know where we can help. Auctions are fun, but as Michael said, they are alot of work.
Steve Irwin died the way he lived.....with fish in his heart.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Hey Corey,

If you can get me the numbers for the bidding cards, I can laminate them. Try to put 3-4 on an 8 1/2x11 sheet if you can. They need to have about 1/2" of space on each side in your layout.

You should have asked us first. I thought I had a book from Perfecto, but can't find it. Go to http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland/Documents/Standard%20Aquarium%20Specs.pdf . Hope that gets you what you want, or there is a tab to go to customer service and parts. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

We have been kicking around the same Idea too.

In 2010 we will be hosting the FOTAS show and quite probably the ACA Convention. For those that do not know the history the ACA (American Cichlid Association) First convention was in Oklahoma City. The idea is for nostalgia to have the 50th one in OKC.

Our bank account is now at the point where we can have a show or something, just been wondering about doing it.
'No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

President of the International Betta Congress
Chair IBC-SMP
President of the OKAA (The real state Aquarium Association)
and BAP Chair OKAA
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

If you do the ACA make sure you let us know where you need help. I know how much work they are! Of course, I've never had one anywhere near that close, so I'll probably move away first! (ACA in St. Louis-after I moved to Colorado. ACA in Denver-after I moved back to Kansas City!)
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

I will keep everyone posted.

The FOTAS show would be worth going to too.

Chair IBC-SMP
and BAP Chair OKAA
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Isn't the Wisconsin (Milwaukee) club doing the ACA convention in 2010? I know they were trying for it.

Kevin
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

They may be trying but from what I was told by the insiders its OKC's if we want it because of the nostalgia factor. I am not in on any planning or in the ACA so I can't tell you any more. However my sources are well placed.

Chair IBC-SMP
and BAP Chair OKAA
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I didn't realize they had ACA conventions in 1960. I was aware of the ACA, but thought they were just getting started in the middle 60's. Go figure. I also heard that they had an ACA convention in Lincoln, NE, but that would have to have been after 1974. I was one of the founders of the Lincoln club probably in 1969, but we moved to Omaha in 1974 and I lost touch. Haven't been able to verify whether that was correct or not. Nobody presently in Lincoln (at least at the LFS) remembers anything about it. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
tjudy

Post by tjudy »

Hello All,

The ACA 2010 convention was awarded to Milwaukee at the convention last July. If a club is interested in bidding for the 2011 convention it is a good idea to get your ducks in a row by the Summer two years before the year the event is to be hosted. Here in Milwaukee we discovered that hotels with enough space are often booked up two - three years out!

The ACA was formed in 1966. The first convention was indeed held in Oklahoma City, but it was held in 1972.

Ted Judy
ACA BOT (for a few more weeks anyway)
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Ted,
Thanks for the information.
Its great to see you here on the board.
~Kenna
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

tjudy wrote:Hello All,

The ACA 2010 convention was awarded to Milwaukee at the convention last July.

Ted Judy
ACA BOT (for a few more weeks anyway)
You know, I should have known that. For some reason I was thinking that was next year, but that's Ohio. I should have remembered since Kevin keeps talking about how we are GOING to go to Milwaukee!
Michael
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

I find that humorous;

Guess the people in our club planning need to get their info straight.

However by 2012 we will be ready for something like that.

I actually find this good news.

Thanks for the info Ted.

By the Way I love your Fish Room.

Chair IBC-SMP
and BAP Chair OKAA