New Killifish

Barbs, danios, gouramies, tetras, and other fish that don't fit into the above categories
etheonut

New Killifish

Post by etheonut »

Well, I couldn't resist. I was at PetLand in Joplin. I have been there a few times before. They finally got rid of the red shiners that they were trying to sell. I guess my call to the Missouri Conservation Department worked, but that is neither here nor there. I was looking around at their collection when I noticed that their feeder copies had a serious infestation. That right, an infestation of blue fin killies. There were 2 males and 4 females. Hmmm, and just the luck I had an empty pond at home. Well, what is a guy to do? I bought all six, at the outrageous price of twelve cents a piece. While the nice girl was catching my new killies she also scooped up a catfish of undetermined species and a dwarf crayfish of undetermined species. It is a good thing I was there or they would still have that infestation from Florida. :D

Kevin
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Why don't they ever have anything good when I'm there???? How unfair!

I've been there a few times, but just got frustrated by the fact that I couldn't get any assistance. Never paid any attention to the feeders, though. Bad, Kenna!
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Right now they have Datnoids. It looks like they have both species, silver and gold, and for a very reasonable price of $17.00. For those of you that don't know this is a very seasonable fish only showing up for a couple months every year. It is the equivalent of a smallmouth bass from Thailand. Amazing fish to watch hunt, but only if you have a 75 gallon tank or larger as they easily attain 16-18 inches.

If anyone wants one, let me know. I would make a trip to Joplin and pick one up for the meeting, but make sure you have the tank space.

Kevin
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I checked my pond this evening and brought out a BEAUTIFUL male and a nice little female bluefin killie. They were both nicely colored. Now here is hoping that they have been busy little parents.

Kevin
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

How 'bout some pics? I'ld love to see them.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

When I go to remove them from the pond, maybe Sunday, I will take some pictures, both of the pond and of the fish.

Kevin
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Well, I don't know if the pond still has killies in it. I went to catch them in late fall and couldn't find any, but it is a big pond with small killies. I doubt they survive this winter, pretty cold for them.

I did pick up 3 more at petland last night. For those of you that would like to try this, they come in with their ghost shrimp. I got a trio of bluefin killies, another native killie that I haven't identified yet, and a couple ghost shrimp for 50 cents. Sometimes it is rough to be me.

Kevin
Herpchat

Re: New Killifish

Post by Herpchat »

Have you identified that killie yet?

If not bring it to the next meeting I am at and I will look at it for you.
'No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

President of the International Betta Congress
Chair IBC-SMP
President of the OKAA (The real state Aquarium Association)
and BAP Chair OKAA