PLANARIA EXTERMINATION CONCEPT

Diagnosis and treatment
paramedic07

PLANARIA EXTERMINATION CONCEPT

Post by paramedic07 »

SOMEONE I KNOW BACK IN CHICAGO STARTED A TANK WITH LIVE ANUBIAS PLANTS AND DRIFTWOOD TO HAVE A SHOAL OF 40-50 OR SO CARDINAL TETRAS.

GUESS WHAY SHOWED UP? THOSE WONDERFUL PLANARIA.

ON ALL THE GLASS, ON THE WOOD, EVEN ON THE FISH.

SOMEONE RECOMMENDED "FENBENDAZOLE" TO WIPE THEM OUT TO MY FRIEND AND HE SED IT. ALLEGEDY IT WIPED THEM OUT.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
Dinosfishhouse

Re: PLANARIA EXTERMINATION CONCEPT

Post by Dinosfishhouse »

Cutting back on feeding will also cut them back, though it takes longer.
As will most of the smaller loaches.

Both without adding chemicals.
200 aquaria
112 species of fish
31 species of plants
7 species of freshwater shrimp
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Good advice. Any time we can find an alternative to chemicals, it is better. Maybe not as quick, but better for the fish.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

When the microfauna start crawling out of the substrate, it's usually a sign that the gravel is overdue for a good vacuuming. In most cases, that's all that's necessary to reduce or eliminate the various worms (including planaria, bristleworms of the family Naididae, and others), and copepods that often surprise hobbyists with an appearance. So I'd try vacuuming first. A clean tank starves out the little critters, or at least keeps them living in the substrate, happy and out of sight.

I also agree with the recommendation to add the various fishes that might eat planaria, and use chemicals as a last resort. If you do decide to go the chemical route, the fenbendazole should work, but Clout will probably be a lot easier to find.

Finally, are you sure they are planaria? I can't recall ever seeing a freshwater planarian on a fish, and I am unaware of any of them being parasitic. Planarians have a head that is triangular head-- or at least looks like it has ears-- and two eyes that look a bit crossed. They move by gliding along the glass or substrate and do not swim in the water column. Here's a picture of the front end of one. I couldn't fit the whole animal in the microscope view. It was too big (0.5").

Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair