cats only tank

Scavengers - Predators - Algae-eaters
McKelvie

cats only tank

Post by McKelvie »

catfish are one of my all time favorites. right now we are working on setting up a "cats only" tank, which will hold our panda and paleatus cories. we are still working on deciding what other species to include. because most cats are primarily bottom dwellers, we are trying to focus on cats that will inhabit the upper portions of the aquarium as well. any suggestions would be helpful on this front. we also would like to include species that are visually appealing, although they don't have to be "pretty". any suggestions?
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

I have two suggestions, both from Africa. The fish that are generally called African Glass Cats (Eutropiellus buffei or debauwi) are a great schooling fish that stay midwater and move all the time. Synodontis nigriventrus, upside down cats, swim all over the tank and even spend a lot of time at the top.
Michael
McKelvie

Post by McKelvie »

thanks for the suggestions. i have heard a lot about upside down catfish and most people seem to have pretty positive things to say, including that they don't spend as much time on the bottom as other cats. i don't really know as much about glass catfish, but i will definitely look them up in more detail.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

A catfish commonly called 'Bumble Bee' catfish is another interesting species. It will often hang out midtank in decorations, not swimming. I believe there are two species commonly sold as 'Bumble Bee', and I don't honestly know the difference off the top of my head. Both can be very effective predators though so be careful of tank mates if you add any.

Kevin
Josey

Post by Josey »

There is a native spec. of cat called a Mad Tom ( maybe someone know a more correct name). They reach a max size of about 4" so you can keep them pretty safe with fish their size. And they are built more like eels than cats long and skinny.

Two warnings!

They will eat anything they can get their mouth over to the point of their own death! Also they are almost exclusively nocturnal. I usually see my pair only when I get up at night.
“It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish.”

J. R. R. Tolkien
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Do you know which species of madtom you have? Local to the Springdale area are Slender, Ozark and Checkered.

Kevin
Josey

Post by Josey »

I think I have the slender madtoms. They where collected south of Winslow Arkansas. In that location they are a unique but regular find.
“It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish.”

J. R. R. Tolkien