Filters for my new sumps

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
dennysfishroom

Filters for my new sumps

Post by dennysfishroom »

After I installed my new sumps, I realized I was going to have to come up with some type of filter for them. I tried all the canister filters I had, and none did what I needed. I think my Fluval FX5 would have, but apparently the motor is shot in it. I finally ordered a new motor, but it's really big bucks. I decided to manufacture my own by placing a plastic pan inside a taller pan with the same base dimensions. Sounded good until I realized that the bigger pan wouldn't fit through the opening into the sump. After thinking about it all weekend, I decided to build a frame that would fit across the sump, and that would support the filter pan. As I started looking around, I realized I had the PVC pipe in 1 inch diameter, but not the fittings. Then I found out that I had the fitting in 3/4" PVC, but not the pipe. Finally today I started scrounging around in my basement, and finally came up just enough pipe to make one frame. I got it installed, and will have to check the filter tomorrow to see if it's removing the detritus from the water. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Re: Filters for my new sumps

Post by sskruzr »

Pics would help
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I was planning to take some pictures, but decided to wait until it had run at least over night. Assuming it works, I'll get some pics later. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

This link should take you to pictures of what I did. Denny

http://dennysfishroom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=147&p=337#p337
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Just wondering if anyone knows of a store selling 1/2" Poly Foam? Hobby Lobby had one inch but not 1/2 inch. Denny